Moving a marble fire surround

Hi, I plan to open up a couple of bricked up fireplaces, and move some exiting marble surrounds to them.

I've swapped over/renovated old caste iron ones before but not sure about the best approach to

1) open up a block fireplace 2) dismantle a marble surround without killing it.

TIA RIch

Reply to
baxter basics

When I moved one a few years back, I found the back and the mantle-piece fixed by two small plates and a couple of screw. It came off the wall very easily. This one had two plinths at the sides and a substantial hearth. The tops came off the plinths ok but the plinths fell to pieces as I tried to move them. The hearth fell into three pieces. When I came to put it back (I only wanted to move it by just over 1 metre) it was a bit like a jigsaw but went together remarkably well with a weak mortar mix with added PVA. Go for it!

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence Milbourn