Fixing stainless steel fire surround

I have a hole in the wall type coal/wood fire. The fireplace and hearth are slate and I wish to have a stainless steel surround around the fire "hole". The fire back is standard 19" and the stainless steel surround around the "hole" will be 39" x 25". This is made from "L" shaped stainless steel with

5cm sides.

What is the best method of attaching the stainless steel edge to the slate? Would fire cement hold?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
DB

I'd suggest stainless machine screws, to nuts behind the slate. Countersunk head torx screws maybe.

You really should be able to get little torx-plugs, that press into the screws, but I don't think you can.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I should have mentioned that the fire and surround are in place, I am changing the edge strip. I cannot get to the rear of the slate.

Reply to
DB

I have a redundant stainless surround that you could have foc. I cant say what its measurements are -as its outside and I am currently in my jamas. You can contact me via my ws -

if you want me to go in to further details tomorrow. Cant help with attachment method till I can check it out on site - sorry Regards Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

No, fire cement wouldn't hold (or at bes would provide a marginal bond). It's great for many things, but not as an adhesive.

I'd use high temperature silicone:

Reply to
Grunff

I live on a farm and we like our fires HOT. Didnt think any silicone would hold. In my past I used to mess with proper rocket motors, and we always used ordinay Evostick to bond the propellant to the case. It may go black but never gives up holding even at really high temperatures. Still holding one year later...

Reply to
Dave Brook