After some ideas on how to remove fire surround

Hi

We are wanting to replace an ornate plaster effect fireplace with something a little more modern. It doesn't appear to be plaster but some sort of resin. I have had out my metal/stud detector and cannot locate any brackets down either side, so my guess is it is probably bonded to the wall. Ideally, I would like to remove in one piece if possible. My current plan is to buy a Bosch PMF-180e with the fairly long and flat cutting blade and try cutting around the fire surround between the surround and the wall to cut away the glue (both from the inside and outside edge of the surround). Could really do without spending £50 on a Bosch PMF180 so thought I would pick your brains for any ideas.

Thanks

Reply to
Slider

If it's only held in place by glue, then save yourself £49.50 and buy a hacksaw blade (two if you want to be really extravagant! )

Create a makeshift handle with gaffer tape wound round one end - slide the other end between the surround and the wall and saw away...

It'll take a few minutes - but will likely be a bit more controllable than the power-saw...

Maybe use a piece of thin tube or dowel to space the saw away from the wall - so's you don't mess up the existing plaster ??

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
adrian

Or buy a keyhole saw blade to fit in a Stanley knife handle, if you prefer more sophistication.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks Adrian, will give it a go.

Reply to
Slider

Thanks, will try if the hacksaw blade fails

Reply to
Slider

Use the Hacksaw blade to that it cuts on the PULL stroke. Baz

Reply to
Baz

I had my new surround fitted so that it lifts up and off. The fixings are on the inside so I doubt a metal detector would be sensitive enough to pick them up.

Worth trying lifting.

Reply to
John