a few thoughts on power tool threads

With reference to recent threads mostly about power tools and the price verses value issues that always seem to arise I thought I would put down a few words and it isn't pro or anti any one person just a few observations in general

The constant things in these threads is, is there a need to go for the best as in specs or best as in value for money

The answer is there isn't one simple answer

If specs were the be all and end all then why do Makita/Dewalt still sell

9.6 volt tools when there are higher spec'd 24 volt ones around. Why do they make different rated tools in each voltage band, why do some come with 1.3 ah batts when 3.3 ah batts are available

If all you do Diy wise is the odd shelf or putting up hanging basket brackets than a 300 quid plus Makita cordless isn't the tool for you. That's more like a job for a 20 quid powerdevil from Argos hell its will even probably come with a selection of wall plugs ,drills and screws for you to do the jobs with! That doesn't mean that the mak can't do the job it just not the most sensible purchase in that instance

If you have a 10' by 10' lawn in the back garden you don't buy a sit on lawnmower

If you have to polyfiller a few holes in the plaster before you paint then you don't need a random orbit or belt sander

If you have to cut up a few battens for a shelf in an alcove then a sliding compound mitre saw isn't needed

Conversely going on price

If you are building a kitchen extension a power devil drill wont last long

Cutting an acre of lawn isn't a job for a flymo

If you are going to have to sand down a whole house worth of doors skirtings etc you aint going to do it with a sanding block

If you are going to be putting down a hardwood floor with wide boards you are not going to use a 30 quid mitre saw from b+q

If drilling a hole in a wall for a wall plug then a power devil is going to be easier than doing it with a handdrill, an 800 watt drill will do it quicker than a 400 watt one , a challenge sds drill will do it quicker than a

800 watt, and an under £80 jcb, bosch etc is an lot easier to use than a challenge, and a top of the range dewalt /Makita will again be lighter and easier to use

Does than mean if you don't own a dewalt/Makita SDS that you can't drill holes in walls?

I suppose it comes down to why you DIY

Some people do it to save money get the job done as simply and cheaply as possible, and some do it themselves so that they can have a real top notch job done with the highest spec'd items. and every variation inbetween. It doesnt make one approach better or worse than another it's just a different approach the one the suits that persons needs or wallet at the time.

I have a performance power 1/4" router and have for many years, has it fallen apart no, can it trim 3/8" from the bottom of a hardwood door yes, ok I may have to take more passes then a 1/2" trend but then its was a fraction of the price, it certain mortised out for the hinges a hell of a lot quicker than doing it with a chisel, would I like a 1/2" inch trend yes for sure who wouldn't but until I need one I'll keep the PP one

On the opposite side I have a 30 quid 12v cordless drill that now isn't up to the jobs I would like to do with it so am looking around for something beefier

For wood chisels I have several good ones that take a good keen edge and a few from poundland. I use the ones from poundland for rough work and doing things where I wouldn't risk a good one does it make the poundland ones that will not hold an edge crap no , does it make the better ones to highly specified no, you use the tool that is appropriate for the job.

Well that's my tuppence worth

Steve

I know this post has been posted before had problems since switching to broadband with newservers and on checking google found the posts couldnt be seen

Reply to
steve

Oh no - he has started another one! ;-)

This is the essence of the question I believe. Hence why I have difficulty understanding the mindset that seeks to reduce everything to "a one size fits all" answer. Even more bemusing is the mind that thinks it can speak with authority for all (or 99%) of people on the subject!

(i.e. the tool equivalent of stating that everyone should buy a Ford Fiesta, and there is no need for any other type of vehicle unless you are a bus driver! (no disrespect to Fiesta owners intended))

Reply to
John Rumm

I know what you mean.

Reply to
IMM

Well, why do it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS.

It's really that simple, what does it cost in every sense, and what benefit do you derive from it?

Should I buy a 60K brand new Merc with 6 years full warranty, or a 600 quid old banger that will get me to the shops and back for a year before being scrapped?

Only I can answser that. Because its down to the miles I might do, my perception of the value of a shiny new car in the drive versus a rusty old banger etc.

So its a totally silly question, It had to be in the first place as I looked at the legnth of the DeWalt thread and the number of posts by IMM.

And ignored it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No there isn't.

Because for some tools, 9.6v may be enough. For example, I have a Makita angle driver which is highly geared. This does not need to turn rapidly but does need good torque, so 9.6v through a gear box is a suitable approach.

If that is all it is then I would agree. However, DIY goes way beyond that and it is not long before the Argos thing won't do a good enough job.

and the quality of work that you would like to achieve.

This is one point. If you take the labour cost saved, it will fund an excellent complement of good quality tools.

If you were doing much more than this, you would become very frustrated with it.

Try some good chisels some time.

For example, I have a couple of Record planes and some Lie-Nielsens.

The difference is chalk and cheese, but I wouldn't use the Lie-Nielsens on rough old timber.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is sad. You are now far less wise than before. Reread the thread 4 times, and all my posts 6 times. It is for your own good.

Reply to
IMM

Now I know you've flipped. Variable valve timing for IC engines isn't new, and yet those cars which use it have *more* gears than ever before.

No they aren't. They become the drivetrain.

You plainly think that anything electrical is 100% efficient. This doesn't surprise, given you don't understand it. An electric motor with a wide speed range will have varying efficiency at different speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No such engines exist.

Reply to
Huge

They do in his mind. He doesn't understand the principles of an IC engine, so thinks they can be tweaked to run properly from a standstill as a steam engine can.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, yes. I didn't notice the crap that preceded the nonsense about solenoid operated valves.

Reply to
Huge
[4 stoke]

Hence his description of "4 stoke". :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Probably confusing them with his Tango dancing partners...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maxie, you can't stop can you? You are on about whips now.

Reply to
IMM

Miss whip at the Derby and Joan club?

Reply to