180 degree bend in 22 mm Cu

Is it possible to form a 180 dgree bend in 22 mm copper with a normal Hillmoor type pipe bender. Obviously have to reposition the pipe half way round but will the returning end foul the bender preventing the formation of a 180 degree bend? The straight section of pipe before the start of the bend only needs to be 2 or 3 inches long.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IIRC when I needed something similar I just joined two 90 degree bends with a straight coupling.

Reply to
newshound

alan_m

That's the fall back but a single 180 bend would look nicer and have the two legs closer together. Not that the distance is critical other than smaller is better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not a bad price. The legs might be too close together though and I can't find the spacing, it only looks to be 2 or pipe diameters. Between that and two 90's joined I prefer the two 90s joined, if only because there is one less joint.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Using one each of these:

is cheaper, you can afford a stcck of each, and almost as neat. Three joints in the same place is as easy as one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yes it can be done. But not sure if you can do a continuous bend. Would a short straight section between two 90s matter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The two 90's are pulled bends so one joint (ok two pipe ends). Rather than two joints (4 pipe ends) for the end fed return bend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends if a 22 mm full bore lever valve will fit with lever side in the gap and with PRV in the other leg directly above it. The manufactured return bend looks like there mighht not be enough space. Though I guess the lever could be at 90 deg to the plane of the valve.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

before

OK, Getting a continuous bend just means bending to 90 ish degrees, moving the pipe around the former say 45 to 60 dgrees and making sure that the already bent bit of pipe is fully seated to the former and is not rotated. Then repeat It was the fouling of the stub end on the bent side that I wasn't sure about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Given the straight bit of pipe needs to be restrained by a hook (at least on my blue Record 218M handheld 15 & 22mm bender dating from the early 1980's) then after the first bend that means of restraint ceases to be a possibility.

Bends of more than 90 degrees are possible but run the risk of trapping within the bend former and/or colliding with the handles of the bender.

This is the shape of the former which does differ slightly from some of the floorstanding benders, they also need a rectangular follower piece with a semicircular scoop as well as the former.

The Other Mike

I was going to say try doing a 360 bend to prove it - now you've gone & spoilt the fun :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The 180 pulled bend has zero joints as we aren't counting the pipe ends were they fit the valves.

The two joined 90 pulled bends has one joint to join them.

The 180 end fed bend has the two end fed joints to stubs to fit into the valves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As I found out this morning. Solved by sleeving the pipe with short section of split 25 mm OD poly tubing to take up (most of) the slack between the hook and pipe.

And yes you can pull a 180 degree bend in 22 mm Cu with a Hillmoor type pipe bender. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good to know. Thinking back, I managed a continuous about 270 degree bend in 15mm when making a TV cradle out of copper tube. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Next: a spiral "worm" for the still!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I think that's doable on the standard bender, spacing may be a bit higgly though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr