Dangerous copper clad aluminium stranded flex warning

Turkey again - haven't forgiven them for the dodgy T+E debacle (I escaped but not until some panic - I had used a lot of cable from a maker with a not dissimilar name).

QA seems to be somewhat wanting over there.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And we'll soon be able to import such crap nice and easily once free of those dreadful EU regs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We did have BSI standards before everything was changed to ENnnnnn CE marking, which were frequently the same thing.

Reply to
Andrew

Didn't seem *that* difficult under the EU regs, so what's your point?

Reply to
Richard

Or lack of proberty.

I'm sure there is a ready market for this stuff in Brazil for wiring up those instant shower heads that are installed at scalp height in cheap doss houses.

Reply to
Andrew

What are you on about? We're already importing it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But it will be even cheaper once out of the EU. Just what's needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's earned you a KF for irrelevant wibbling

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite the opposite. Given Turkish goods are free to enter the EU I would say this is because of the EU rules and regulations that allow anyone to manufacture in a developing EU country and pass it off as safe.

As soon as we have a border and importation becomes the responsibility of a UK entity, things will become a lot safer.

Have you never come across the BSI and its standards? You seem to have led a blinkered life believing all standards started with the EU?

Reply to
Fredxx

There are times when you come across as immensely ignorant.

These items are shipped to the UK because of the EU. Brexit will mean a UK entity will import items and become the manufacturer. It will have to conform to the existing rules and regulations, and not be some rogue company in a far off developing country that has the right to export free of customs restrictions to the EU.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ah - right. Are you saying that such cable doesn't conform to UK regs, but is forced upon us by the EU?

BTW, the UK is free as part of the EU to impose tariffs on goods from Turkey.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are times when you come across as arrogant as well as stupid.

Look up the terms under which Turkey trades with the EU and EU member countries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The topic is STANDARDS, not TARIFFS.

Reply to
Richard

The Grenfell tower fire was down to EUSSR regulations

Reply to
harry

we still have British Standards but, yes, the may have an EN number as well.

Reply to
charles

After Brexit, yes.

Currently, NO. Turkey even has preferential arrangements as per, "1/2006 of the EC-Turkey Customs Co-operation Committee". Turkey is in effect part of the Customs Union.

Reply to
Fredxx

Which ones were they?

Reply to
Fredxx

I have and seen documents regarding their preferential treatment.

Perhaps you should look harder.

Reply to
Fredxx

The fact that Turkey is, or is not, part of the EU is irrelevant. EU regulations control imports into the UK, and the Westminster government has no control over them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris