Aluminium / Copper / Lead roof

I'm considering using some aluminium sheet as a capping for some brickwork - is there any chance of a reaction with the existing copper and lead on the roof? They won't be in physical contact but the water will run/drip from the aluminium onto the copper and lead roof.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Don't think aluminium is a good material for this otherwise it'd be more common. Zinc is usually considered the cheapest metal for this sort of use. Of course it could be due to the difficulties of jointing ally - it can't really be soldered or brazed at a reasonable cost - but it also tends to corrode quite badly in its natural state.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If there is no contact you will not have a problem.

If you had any contact the aluminium would go first.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

Aluminium is supplied as flashing by Velux for their windows.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Use 'Super Purity Aluminium'

Reply to
Merryterry

Still can't think why that would be better than zinc. Lead would be even better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:26:16 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

No, because on most Velux installations the top and side gutters are self-supporting. Lead gutters need to be laid on continuous boarding.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Ok. And of course you do get extruded aluminium guttering. I'd still prefer a more malleable material for the OP's use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say not, but aluminium suffers badly from slats..like wot leches out of brickwork, and indeed any other sorts of cheistry. Its fine if kept dry, and free from ions, but it is a highly reactive metal that depends on its ability to instantly form a tough oxide layer at the surface to protect it: anything that subverts that oxide layer, will kill it.

I fear there may be many things out there in your evironment that will.

Copper and lead are far less reactive. Despite it being an erler technology, there are, for example, many bronze swords in museums, but very few steel ones predating the `Conquest.

I rest my case..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher