Dying Kindle

My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate charging. We know that they work on my Kindle.

Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the ?low battery? image.

I?ve had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean internally (no fluff or grit etc.).

Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ive seen this on a kindle that has been left for ever and gotr really low.

IIRC we got it back by simply plugging it in and leaving it - for hours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have an early kindle and when the battery has been run down the charging light often does not come on until 10 minutes after plugging in the charging cord.

Reply to
alan_m

Left it on charge overnight. No joy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This any use?

Richard

I had a similar thing with an Android tablet which had been left flat for a long time. It wouldn't take a charge at all, so I opened it up and connected the battery to a current limited supply at 100mA until it measured over 3V. I did this where I was able to keep an eye on it. Then it would charge normally and has been working ever since.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

It?s not been left. It was in regular use.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Alas no. Charging light just doesn?t come on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The tiny connectors can come adrift due to the joints failing. If you look on the web, YouTube would be a good place, chances are there will be instructions to get it apart.

If the connections have failed, chances are you will be able to see it and 'touch them up' with a fine soldering iron.

I've never done a Kindle but it has worked on various other beasts with either mini,micro or full sized USB connectors.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If it flashes though, does that not mean it has seen the power. There have been so many of these Kindles. I assume all the books are safe in the cloud or whatever, it might be a cut and run one, even assuming you can get a socket fitted. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A small update, and another conundrum.

Having opened it up and inspected the battery contacts and the links from the micro-USB socket to the board, everything looks good under strong magnification.

I tested the battery voltage and it was reading just under 4V (printing on battery pack indicates that it?s a lithium polymer 3.7V) so it would appear to be fully charged despite no charging light appearing at any time and the screen indicating that it?s discharged.

I strongly suspect that there?s f*ck all that I can do now unless anyone has any brilliant suggestions beyond doing a reset or plugging it into a pc (which doesn?t acknowledge its presence).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't know kindles, but other e-readers have a 'hard' reset that can be invoked by e.g. poking a paperclip in a tiny hole, or holding the power button for a very long time > 30s, or since you've got the back off, disconnect the battery.

Reply to
Andy Burns

BTDTGTTS. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My Kindle died. I tried everything I could find to resuscitate it. I took it apart and reassembled it, but it still did not work.

I hit the chips with a hammer and slung the residue in the bin.

Reply to
GB

Yep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes offer replacements at a discount. Waiting to hear about that currently.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It?s 5 years old. They?ve offered a 15% non-expiring discount on a new one. I think we?ll wait for Black Friday and see if the discounts can be combined.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Doesn't sound promising.

I fear it maybe terminal.

Reply to
Brian Reay

You mean that it may be terminal, maybe. :)

Reply to
GB

Part 2 of that article said "hold the power slide to the right for at least 20 seconds" My paperwhite ain't got no steenkin' power slide. (Nor a "Home" key)

I wonder if (UK) Kindle Customer Services would replace it for free?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

4.2V is fully charged. It's half charged

Reset it. Ther is some way to do that I used once

Ok thats what I followed and it worked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher