Subject Author Posted Replies

Insulating under 2nd floor, overhanging open air
It needs insulating. Important too that there are no gaps. Leave a space and fill with canned foam.
4
4

Earthing a truck
This is entirely hypothetical of course! Let's say you had a large petrol powered truck that had to drive along railway lines, and you wanted to earth the truck to the lines. The truck has rubber...
45
45

Broken pull-out kitchen mixer tap
The pull-out kitchen mixer tap has just snapped off leaving its rear end in the hose connection. There's not enough to grip with pliers and wrapping a suitably-sized dowel in non-slip mat didn't...
6
6

Ikea vs B&Q for DIY furniture
shortcuts I noticed them the last time I was in an Ikea. Some one who must be obeyed suggested that a trip to Ikea would be good idea, on BOXING DAY! After a 3 hr traffic queue to get in, herded round...
30
30

Connecting TV
In my Motorhome I had a TV that ran on 12v with a powerpak. The lead to the powerpak is a figure of 8 which I ran enclosed across the ceiling from the socket on the opposite side. I have now bought a...
11
11

Network wiring
Having re-read the details of the offered Plusnet/BT installation in the last hour I realised that it included provision for an extension from the BT socket to their modem. As the connection was going...
15
15

Secondhand fire ecapes and balconies
On Friday 02 August 2013 17:22 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y: How big and where are you? I have one frame, that's going to the dump eventually, in East Sussex. Approx 1.4m wide by 0.8m high, casement and...
9
9

Flashband primer
I only have a short run to cover with DENSO TAPE FLASHING TAPE and I'm wondering how vital the primer is. Does anyone here know the answer? I'ld rather not have fork out more money for this little...
1
1

OT Thunderbird email: converting archived Outlook .pst fies?
Sorry a bit OT but I know there's a good body of Thunderbird expertise here... I want to change my email client from Outlook to Thunderbird. Having been playing with this for a bit, there doesn't...
19
19

Anti-vac bottle trap not working?
Kitchen sink blocked - replaced bottle trap with anti-vac bottle trap (avbt) - which looks similar enough - sink still blocked - removed avbt and checked waste pipe - no blockage for almost a metre...
4
4

Odd telephone fault
That's what we did.
80
80

Fixing laptop battery packs
I'm pissed off with buying new packs for 25 quid or whatever and then findi ng they're soon bricked by the PSU sensing circuitry just because one indiv idual cell has gone down below a certain...
26
26

Anyone for Fizzicks?
If I spray a light bulb matt black so no light can escape, does this cause all the energy it dissipates to be converted into 100% heat instead of just heat+light and would this cause the bulb to run...
22
22

Loft conversion to give double-height living space
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this? Thinking about a possible loft conversion on a single-storey open-plan bungalow, I wondered about opening up the entire (or almost the entire)...
45
45

Electrical Certificate after TT earthing
I have changed from non-working TN-S to TT earthing at home. All has gone well. My thanks to the great contributions in this forum. One question. The electrician is asking 150 pounds for each of the...
18
18