Subject Author Posted Replies

Greenfly trap
How to make a Greenfly trap Decide that the garden is a good place to paint an item (a door) Paint the item a nice shade of snow white Lean item against the fence to dry in the sun Check item 15...
2
2

OT: Hospital parking charges removed?
As a letter the Times points out today, there is also the question of staff using their cars to fill up the patients' parking, and in some cases, commuters doing the same. At Addenbrookes in...
118
118

Swapping a Sky LNB from dual to quad
Easy DIY job or not? My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they will need a quad LNB fitting. Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then...
15
15

Lidl tools this week
Any opinions on the Lidl offering this week ... cleId=2905 I'm considering this to use with a home made sawboard when going to the DIY sheds to break down sheet goods in the car park to fit in my...
14
14

FireFox has Foxed up
Anyone else suffering with the latest FireFox update? It's died. Works OK in safe mode but I can't disable/remove add-ons in normal mode as it's unresponsive. I've uninstalled the 32 bit version and...
5
5

One of those 'Oh Bugger' days
You may recall we had a long discussion on electricity consumption a while ago, particularly the things that keep consuming like chargers, stuff like TVs on standby, fridges and freezers, computers...
15
15

12v battery condition indicator
From . "The Magic Eye that is used in Motorcraft batteries provides 4 stages of indication, they are: 1. Green: battery is charged and the acid level is good. 2. Yellow: Battery is partially...

Using Well water to flush loos and irrigate the garden
I plan to replace virtually all the plumbing and switch to a pressurised hot water system so the large DHW header tank will become redundant. The house used to draw it's water from a Well in the...
12
12

Lidl hand cordless vacuum
Have one of these a few years old which is ideal for the car and small jobs. Battery is fine - but when you switch it on, the motor sort of oscillates rather than turning. Was an intermittent fault,...
10
10

Heating, pressure relief valve
Combi boiler (Baxi 100HE), when I set water pressure to approx 1.75 bar I get some water escaping from the external pressure relief valve, maybe half a cup or so. Anything below 1.75 bar is ok. Is...
4
4

Fiat Seicento petrol fault and another similar car has no reading on speedo..
After being encouraged to open up the tank I finally did this and was rathe r surprised to find at least half a Kilo of sand and debris blocking most o f the pump and filter plastic combination. When...
3
3

And todays top tip
Don't ever drive a Fiat Doblo. My Scudo is yet again in the garage for more repairs and I was given a Doblo until it is fixed. The Doblo has self locking doors that lock 2 minutes after closing the...
27
27

OT: Question on Eggheads: COBOL, FORTRAN and ALGOL are examples of ...
1) Computer Languages 2) Asian Rodents 3) Weather Systems. All three specified as upper case by Jeremy Vine. Answer: 3) Weather Systems. But the contestant correctly sussed HTML as a computer language...
17
17

What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?
In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth would you need to accelerate it? Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders....
27
27

ping Huge - window screens!
Have you had any luck sourcing window screens? I've seen some recently on Amazon, and was wondering if you'd tried them. Buying in the UK would certainly be easier for me than carrying them from the...
4
4