What is cyanoacrylate accelerator for?

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
In my experience, superglue sets instantly, usually before you've got the workpieces together straight, why on earth would you need to accelerate it?

There are two types. One sets on exposure to air (moisture actually), and the other requires an activator to set.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 08/05/17 17:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They all react to moisture. Accelerant is used when they dont react very fast.
I've had CA smoke when applied to the correct surfaces. Ore refuse to set for ages when applied to others.
Apparently dripping it onto cotton wool starts a fire.

Yes I've had smoke from plastics.

Yes:
https://youtu.be/fYFGTs6vQFU

https://youtu.be/fYFGTs6vQFU

I've also seen cotton wool lit with a match and burning violently after being soaked in liquid oxygen (ok a very long match):
https://youtu.be/k46SBv8EiS8

https://youtu.be/k46SBv8EiS8

I'd love to see cyanoacrylate and oxygen at the same time :-)
Looks like every other combination has already been tried, here's lithium and liquid oxygen:
https://youtu.be/Mtb87I3xKUU

https://youtu.be/Mtb87I3xKUU

--
Sexy Sharon's sister saw saucy Sally swiftly suck seventy six soldiers sons.

On 17:20 8 May 2017, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

There's also the rubbishy superglue I have had from the pound shop which doesn't set even if left for hours.
(Not to be confused with the watery variant they sell which squirts everywhere when opened and sets immediately.)

I thought cyanoacrylate was a chemical which would be the same in every bottle? Is it watered down with something else?
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

On 17:53 8 May 2017, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

You can get slow setting superglue.

I thought the whole idea of superglue was it's speed. Otherwise you use contact adhesive or araldite.
--
I just sent my lawyer something for his birthday. Unfortunately, he wasn't home when it went off.

On 22:02 8 May 2017, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I don't use it but here's one manufacturer's leaflet.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/SG_X_CNTRL_tds.pdf
writes:

That's just one of the idea of superglue.

Doesn't work when gluing wounds.

It's an essential part of military first aid kit. http://bit.ly/2pqVo6Q http://bit.ly/2pqvAYy

--
Ian

Not been to A&E recently?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 56th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Only for broken bones (about 1988, 1995, and 2002) and stitches to my head (twice in the 80s). No glue was used. I'm sure superglue was around at least as far back as 1980.
--
Legalise drugs now and stop the crime
http://www.legalisedrugs.co.uk/

It was developed to help with casualties in the VietNam war.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Quicker?
--
"If hooking up one rag-head terrorist's testicles to a car battery gets the truth out of the lying little camel
shagger to save just one Scottish soldiers life, then I have only three things to say: Red is positive, Black is

And better. The wound is held together over the entire length, not just in isolated places like with stitches or clips.
writes:

Nope, that name is a class of adhesives, just like epoxy is too.

Nope.
pamela wrote:

I bought a pack of three little bottles from the pound shop a couple of years ago, it has been excellent. The stuff in the tubes is horrible.
writes:

And he should know, with all those butterflys to glue to the fence.
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I use it for the finish when making these.
http://imgur.com/a/8g9Pl