Can't find a template for a PRIVATE ROAD CLOSED sign to send to police

Can't find a template for a PRIVATE ROAD CLOSED sign to send to police.

Do any of you live on a private road? Do you close it once a year to comply with common law? Do you send a letter to police/sheriff 30 days in advance?

Where can I get an editable template online? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Ashton Cook

What state do you live in? If there is a statute regarding this, and there probably is, it almost certainly supersedes common law. NYState for example has replaced all of common law by statute. Other states have done it partly or completely.

This is really state-specific.

Have you looked up the statutes for your state. Google should make that between possible and easy.

Does anyone else live on this private road? Have you asked them what they do, and why there is no sign. Have you agreed on a date to close the road?

If no one else lives there, closing it would not inconvenience anyone so the notice would be, I think, more to document that you have done it. There might well be such a requirement, but I think you should also make a time-stamped video, every year, of you doing it. This is not likely to be challenged**, but a good video would include a zoom in on a recent newspaper with headline and date legible. It doesn't have to be the same date each year. In fact adverse possession can't attach in less than, 5 or 9 or something years, so the purpose of *every* year is to make sure you don't forget when it's due and get close to the N-year deadline.

**Heck, where I live the HOA owns the roads and we would be delighted if the county seized them. Then it would have to pave them too!

It doesn't have to be nice-looking to be effective, only legible. So it can be painted free-hand.

But you can probably type it out in your computer, in a large font, as large as you want, and go to a stationery store, like Office Depot, or a photocopy store if those still exist, and some** of them can print it for you on large paper. Then cut it out with a scissors and you have your stencil.

And there are sign companies that will make you any sign you want. I assume you're trying to save money, so see previous paragraph.

**For example, 30 years ago I think I found just 1 place on my side of town that would photocopy things on large paper such as blueprints. There wasn't enough demand for more stores to buy the big copier, but they were not especially expensive.
Reply to
micky

Go to Google Images at

Search for PRIVATE ROAD CLOSED, pick one, do a Save Image.

Reply to
retired1

Been there. Done that. And why didn't you try that before you said it?

Do you really think it's that easy? It's not.

Think about it. I asked for help, right? Don't you think I googled already? Seriously.

You telling me to google is like you telling me to go f*ck myself. Same thing.

It's OK that you don't know the answer. I don't know it either. But telling me to go f*ck myself isn't helping me or anyone else. Is it?

Think of it another way. Would I have asked if it was that easy? No.

Clearly it's not easy to find the editable letter template. Or you would have found it.

And you didn't. You didn't even understand the question.

And yet you told me to go f*ck myself.

And no, a sign is not what I'm looking for. I need a letter addressed to the police that has the right legal terms.

It's gonna be a whole page or at least a couple of paragraphs.

I can write it myself - but I was asking here hoping someone lived on a private road in this newsgroup.

I couldn't think of a better newsgroup to ask this question of. Can you?

There used to be a misc.legal.moderated but it's gone. And the leftovers have even more political garbage than this group has.

I'm sorry if I sound irate but telling me to go f*ck myself isn't helpful.

Reply to
Ashton Cook

Is it OK if we just _think_ it ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

I would find email contact for your state highway department and just ask them what to do. We have it here too in DE but I have not seen anyone to do it for years.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Actually, I made a mistake. I asked for a damn sign. I don't even know _why_ I asked for a sign.

I don't want a sign. I want a Microsoft Word doc. I have signs. I want to send a letter to the police.

I f***ed up.

I apologize. I blitzed out.

I was so frustrated I couldn't find a letter to modify. My fault. Not anyone elses.

I am sorry.

Reply to
Ashton Cook

Thanks for that suggestion. Worst case I'll just write it.

Dear police We the undersigned will be closing the road to protect our property rights on date for 24 hours.

The contact is name/address/phone.

Something like that. But I'm sure a few legal terms need to be sprinkled about.

Reply to
Ashton Cook

Actually, I made a mistake. Not you. I asked for a damn sign. I don't even know _why_ I asked for a sign.

Signs are easy. They are all over the place. What's NOT easy is a letter to the police.

It's not your fault that I blitzed out. It's mine.

I f***ed up.

I apologize. I was so frustrated I couldn't find a letter to modify. The only thing I could find plenty of were signs.

Must have had signs on my mind when I composed the subject line. My fault.

I am sorry for lashing out at you for telling me to google it.

Reply to
Ashton Cook

After retired suggested it, I tried it.

It seemed pretty good to me. *Almost* made me sorry I'd given a more complicated answer.

's $149, but the text is all you need. Do you know how to use Firefox's "specify which part of the screen you want to copy to the clipboard"? And you can probablay do it later with MSPaint.

Do you insist the words be in the order you suggested? You can rearrange the words here, but in that case you might as well just use the method I suggested.

Why would anyone think you did that? Some questions are googlable, but this one is not obviously so. Or I would have thought of it. Because you have a fairly unusual text and you want a stencil, no less. Without retired's clever way of doing it, it wouldn't be googlable at all.

Here's something else retired's method showed:

$45. Maybe that's too much for you but the wording is more detailed and it has a graphic too. It doesn't say Closed, it says No Unauthorized Use, and it's meant to be permanent. Or this one:
$19 to 29.

It's not even close, but watching you be nasty to someone who tried to help you makes me think maybe you should.

He didn't do that. I'm going to try to assume you have other problems that is making you nasty and illogical. Heartburn, cancer, something.

It's almost that easy.

It's hard enough that neither retired or I found it, but my question now is, You've made your point. Why are you still complaining (with 12 more of your lines yet to read.)

I've seen this technique before, in politics for example. One side reaches an unsupported conclusion and then uses it repeatedly against the other side, as if it were true. But he never told you that.

What! You didn't ask for that at all. You asked for a stencil for the sign. Are you drunk? High?

No, and tha's hwy you got 2 good answers.

No, it's not, but it's moderated and if you act like you are hear, you may well not get past moderation. And you still haven't said what state you live in. You know there are 50 of them, if you live in the USA. You don't even say that.

It's good that you end with an apoology (semi-apology because if it wwere a real apology, you'd go back and remove whatever you were apologizing for, befoe posting), even though it's condtional. But it's bad that you base the rest of your text on your silly mistaken conclusion of what he told you .

BTW,

$8.50. Just put stencil in the search terms. I'm guessing it comes folded.

Also,

micky

okay I'll take the risk that you are now in a better mood. I did a search using the terms:

how to close a private road

The results tell me it's a local matter. This result

says:

But before acting, it would be wise to check with county or city zoning authorities to find out whether there are any notice requirements or other steps he must take before closing his road to outsiders.

Reply to
Dan Espen