What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

I've been in the repair biz for too long. I can tell because some of the adhesives in my disorganized collection are at least 10 years old. Yesterday, I had to glue an HP Envy m6-1125dx laptop hinge mount back together after the left a lump of something on the keyboard, and closed the LCD lid. The weak spot was where HP had glued the metal attachment point for the hinge to the aluminum cover and plastic frame. Miserable design and crappy workmanship, but I can't complain because that's why I'm still in business.

I tried cyanoacrylate adhesive, 5 minute epoxy, 24 hr epoxy, RTV, Elmers contact cement, and Duco cement. Nothing worked. The glues either remained tacky after 24 hrs, hardened in the tube, or crumbled when stressed. Hardening in the tube is an obvious sign of old age, but I've never had Duco cement turn to powder when it hardens.

Yes, I cleaned off the old glue between applications and carefully removed any residue and oils with acetone.

So, I walked to the nearest hardware store, and bought a few overpriced tubes of epoxy and other adhesives. Right now, I'm trying some J-B Weld KwikWeld (sets in 6 minutes). Watching glue dry didn't seem very productive, so I thought I would ask a few questions instead of Googling for the answers.

Few of the package, bottles, or tubes, show an expiration date for either shelf life, or shelf life after the bottle is opened. The exception is RTV, which is formulated to harden in the tube after about 1 year whether new or opened. Gorilla Glue seems to harden in the tube about 3 months after the tube is first used.

So, in your experience, what are the approximate shelf lives of these common adhesives? Devcon or Ace 5 minute epoxy Devcon or Ace 24 hr epoxy Devcon or Ace Plastic repair epoxy JB-Weld KwikWeld JB-Weld Gorrila Glue (water activated polyurethane) Elmer's or Weldwood Contact Cement Duco cement RTV sealant Barge Cement Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) Super Glue Gel Elmer's white glue Elmer's wood glue Elmer's Craft Bond Rubber cement

Back to watching the glue dry... Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

REF:

I have ten year old unopened Toyota FIPG (aka RTV) that I "hope" to use for a valve cover gasket. I "hope" it's still good.

I do know that the tube of Home Depot gray-putty-like two-part "tootsie-roll" epoxy (with the cream in the middle) does NOT last more than about 5 years (ask me how I know).

The epoxy still works, but once opened, and half used, the rest dries out easily (I didn't re-wrap it though).

Likewise with "opened" cyanoacrylate ... I buy the *smallest* tubes I can find, because, to me, they're single-use only. They may last a few weeks once opened, maybe even a few months ... but not more than that.

The bigger bottles get runny ... like water ... and never stick, in my experience.

Reply to
Harold Newton