Fiat Seicento petrol fault and another similar car has no reading on speedo..

After being encouraged to open up the tank I finally did this and was rathe r surprised to find at least half a Kilo of sand and debris blocking most o f the pump and filter plastic combination. When I got it all apart, cleane d out and refitted, all has been fine. I sucked most of this out of the tan k as well using an old fridge suction pump with a big jar into which it dep osited a lot of petrol and rubbish. I would have got there quicker without the manual's reference to the engine management system! Could it have been sabotage?

The garage where I took my Tata for a MOT had another Seicento that the own er did not want and nor did they, as the speedo was not reading and they ha d already changed the meter assembly to no avail. They offered it to me for spares but it is too good just to scrap, it is three years younger than th e other one. The needle just gives a bit of a kick when you switch on the ignition, but does not show any indication that the car is moving. I am goi ng to look at the timing device that produces the pulses near the alternato r belt drive, but if it is not that, has anyone any other ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks and regards. George.

Reply to
George

You know what the letters F I A T mean of course? The clean version is Found in a Tip.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
8<

Speedo? The speedo sensor would have to be on the gearbox output or wheels to be legal AFAIK so having it near the alternator sounds wrong. Or is that just where the gearbox output is?

Reply to
dennis

[...]

You are perfectly correct Dennis, I only saw the round ring thing that, w ith a pick up coil generated the pulses for the speedo mounted on the wheel hub, when I had a problem, - that car does have a rev. counter but from th e origin of the pulses it is for the speedo, I am not sure how the rev coun ter gets its input. I worked out what it was when I had the RH front whe el off to get at the alternator belt which had come off, it is nothing to d o with the alternator.

Being a 75 yr old Mainframe Engineer, ICL 1901A to 3950 int the 70's and 80 's. I know very little about engine management and how to read the program s and hack them. How can I find out? It sounds useful.

Thanks and regards, George.

Reply to
George