EU survey on appliances and right to repair

You might want to respond to an EU survey on appliance repair. Even if the resulting legislation doesn't apply to us, having a market of 500M people just next to us where spare parts and product repair documentation is a legal requirement means we would probably get easier access here too.

The closing date is Monday I believe.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well it's a good starting point.

When these things are highlighted to the public, manufacturers might be forced to consider product support in more detail.

I saw it in the TV trade years back when Curry's took over the service for a lot of houshold brands. A photostated manual for £20-00 and every poxy part that was a "special" was priced through the roof.

Just because manufacture is so cheap currently, after sales service and indeed a basic spec is a sadly neglected region.

Vacuum cleaners must surely be a major area of interest. Although UHF TV and digital formats have probably masked a lot of the worn brushes, brushes and armatures were a frequently replace item once.

At least the EU seem to believe that something of the planet is worth preserving, instead of throwing items away as soon as they hiccough.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Done

Reply to
Chris Holford

Interesting.

Section F - Computers - I think answers would vary widely for home laptops vs business desktops vs gaming desktops, etc.

No mention of vacuum cleaners.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

This survey is accessible up till the bit about the declaration of what can be published, then it goes into an impenetrable table and gets stuck going around in circles using keyboard access. They need to sort this out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian, the questions change depending on previous answers (e.g. if you are a supplier or a consumer, etc).

If it doesn't work, I'm sure it is breaking an EU directive on accessibility. There is an accessibility mode selection on the top right sidebar, and an email contact.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In addition to general availability of spare parts, I specified the following as being important when purchasing: Expected life before repair required; Date through to which spare parts will be availabile; Date through to which software/firmware security patches will be provided.

France got close to making a law before their last elections which required these to be specified at point of sale.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They need a lesson in how to keep a survey focussed on a single issue, and not put so many questions in it that people lose the will to live half way through ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's probably OK for someone using a 'conventional' web browser but not much help for Brian. I've just pulled up that page with a text mode browser and the accessibility link is buried way down the page at line

1195 so not very easy to find.

Also the accessibility link just appears to make the text bolder and bigger on a graphic screen and has no effect with the text mode browser I tried (lynx).

And all bets are off if JavaScript is disabled.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

So why didn't you?

Reply to
Chris Green

The electro-mechanical thermostat on my Liebherr fridge freezer failed in 2010 just after the 2 year warrenty expired.

Liebherr refuse to sell me the thermostat, saying I would have to use their UK distribution and repair channel !.

The part is available on a German parts website for about 20 euros, but they will only deliver to a German or Austrian address !.

Fridge has been controlled by a Smiths plug-in digital timer for

8 years without problems. I just give it 15 mins every hour and use my laser thermometer to check temp from time to time.

It's a pain having to increase and decrease the on-times during winter and summer, so one day I might get an industrial cold-room controller. RS used to do one for about£35

Reply to
Andrew

Nobody bothers. They are far more reliable now than ever.

Buy one at JL or Richer sounds with a 6 year warranty and rely on that, then just discard when it fails after warranty expires.

Reply to
Andrew

I did, it is common to include the source Identifier under the transmitted text/ info.

I trust I have explained things to you?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

You can't use your TV much. Big name brands like Sony fail in about 4 years.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The EU are banning those, they use too much power, we must all go back to sweepers.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I've seen longer surveys than that.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

rity-product-groups

Why can't you buy a thermostat with a remote sensor and put that inside = the fridge?

-- =

What did the elephant say to the naked man? How do you pick up anything with that?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On yes, well worth the 350m quid a week subs, that.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, :-)

Reply to