EU survey on appliances and right to repair

Well, you wrote the bit I replied to. Perhaps you didn't understand what you were writing. No surprise there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I live in Scotland and have never seen rust in such things. Are there actually wetter places than Scotland?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, you wrote it backwards, just have a think about what you wrote. If someone wants something free, they'd make it out to be worth LESS than it really is.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In terms of tropical, warm humidity, yes. VCRs often malfunctioned in the tropics, which may have lead to the popularity of VCDs - basically CD ROMs containing up to about 60 minutes of inferior quality video - in SE Asia for the distribution of films before DVDs became affordable.

Reply to
Max Demian

I downloaded 1000s of VCDs before DVD was invented. It was the standard pirate format of films. If you find enough folk with international sources and set up a server on a fibre connection in a secret cupboard at work, it fills up with TBs of films very quickly for them to swap, then I can pinch them all.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In the days when video tape was used on location recording you had to be careful not to subject the cassette recorder to sudden changes in temperature. They did have a 'dew' indicator - but if this didn't work the tape could be chewed up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see this discussion is not worth continuing with.

Reply to
tabbypurr

oh dear

Reply to
tabbypurr

to you. It makes sense to others.

Reply to
Martin

It's the humidity, not the rain.

Believe me, until you have experienced a tropical rainstorm when 8 inches of rain falls in a couple of hours while the temperature is 30 centigrade, you dont know what rain is. When it stops the roads are literally steaming.

In Fiji all the houses have their internal walls painted with oil-based gloss paint. This is necessary so you can wash the walls down with bleach every few days. If you don't you will end up with wonderful black mould every where very quickly.

Anything made of leather will deteriorate quickly unless kept in the fridge or in a cupboard with a greehouse-style heater at the bottom to dry the air out. This means a huge leccy bill.

Reply to
Andrew

I assume you mean the video files on the VCDs copied onto a HDD somewhere. Presumably they can be copied straight over without the "ripping" required to copy a DVD onto a computer.

Reply to
Max Demian

You're suggesting people are trying to get rubbish quality kit for free. Why?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You're suggesting people are trying to get rubbish quality kit for free. Why?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You're wanting rid of a piece of furniture. If I can make you believe it's worthless, I can get it from you for free. If I make you think it's an antique, you'll want money for it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You're wanting rid of a piece of furniture. If I can make you believe it's worthless, I can get it from you for free. If I make you think it's an antique, you'll want money for it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

At least three of us as far as I can see. Tabby needs to explain why she's in a minority of one.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

At least three of us as far as I can see. Tabby needs to explain why she's in a minority of one.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Cassettes used to chew up all the time in domestic environments anyway, presumably the tape stuck to the pinch roller, or it was a bit loose on rewind.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Cassettes used to chew up all the time in domestic environments anyway, presumably the tape stuck to the pinch roller, or it was a bit loose on rewind.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That would require you to know more about teh furniture than the purchaser.

No you get 1000 spunk filled keyboards.

Reply to
whisky-dave