EU survey on appliances and right to repair

Brian Gaff wrote:

They need a lesson in how to keep a survey focussed on a single issue, and not put so many questions in it that people lose the will to live half way through ...

I've seen longer surveys than that.
--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
On 06/05/2018 09:48, Andy Burns wrote:

I went off and painted my fence
--
Adam

On 06/05/2018 09:48, Andy Burns wrote:

OTOH they need no lessons in how to draft a consultation document so as to minimise the number of responses from ordinary members of the public who don't understand The Project...
--
Robin
On Mon, 07 May 2018 08:08:21 +0100, Robin wrote:

Bingo! Now you're asking the right questions of such 'surveys'.
Give that man a cigar! :-)
Being a cynic just means you've lost that naive innocence that governments, corporations and would be dictators have all come to rely upon to achieve their own agendas.
You need to view such "incompetences" and "Generous offers of 'customer choice'" with a jaundiced eye and consider the more likely motives behind such actions.
I was reminded of the latter when I was shopping on line yesterday for a replacement toaster. I thought the choice of TV sets being offered to the consuming masses was needlessly extensive but, this "confuse the hell out of the consumer"[1] tactic reached new heights, it seemed to me, when I was facing a choice of *over* 300 on the Tesco shopping site! Three Hundred plus, for fuck's sake!
[1] This seems to be a central tenet in central and local government elections, no doubt driven by moneyed interests. The principle being somewhat akin to the age old riddle of how to confuse an Irishman... Place him in a barrel and tell him to piss in a corner. :-(
--
Johnny B Good

On 05/05/2018 22:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The electro-mechanical thermostat on my Liebherr fridge freezer failed in 2010 just after the 2 year warrenty expired.
Liebherr refuse to sell me the thermostat, saying I would have to use their UK distribution and repair channel !.
The part is available on a German parts website for about 20 euros, but they will only deliver to a German or Austrian address !.
Fridge has been controlled by a Smiths plug-in digital timer for 8 years without problems. I just give it 15 mins every hour and use my laser thermometer to check temp from time to time.
It's a pain having to increase and decrease the on-times during winter and summer, so one day I might get an industrial cold-room controller. RS used to do one for about£35

rity-product-groups

Why can't you buy a thermostat with a remote sensor and put that inside the fridge?
-- What did the elephant say to the naked man? How do you pick up anything with that?
On 06/05/2018 10:59, Roger Hayter wrote:

Nobody bothers. They are far more reliable now than ever.
Buy one at JL or Richer sounds with a 6 year warranty and rely on that, then just discard when it fails after warranty expires.

You can't use your TV much. Big name brands like Sony fail in about 4 years.
--
A woman was standing at the edge of a cliff trying to get the nerve to jump off.
A homeless drunk stopped and mumbled, "If you're about to kill yourself, how about a shag before you go?"
On 06/05/2018 13:12, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

My 17 inch Sony LCD tv lasted 13 years and it was used for 8 hours or more per day because it was my PC screen, and also had Picture- in-picture for watching TV at the same time.
That's far more usage than a domestic TV typically gets.

But you would have bought that when they were reliable. Every TV is now a piece of shit.
--
Please be bending short long rod before inserting the output firmly inwards to save health unwellness.

Good to know you've tested then all. Where did you find the time? Where did you get the skills?
--
*Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.

On Mon, 07 May 2018 11:59:35 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Actually the last TV I bought was another LG, I already have three and as they incorporate satellite and internet [of a sort], I prefer to stick with what I know.
Returned it. It had an effect similar to solarisation, where gradients particularily noticable on subjects faces develop contours of shade, looking a little like a map depiction of altitude.
The effect does seem to be present to some slight extent on all flat screens, but it takes careful inspection to spot it and it is dependent on the material being transmitted.
As I stated earlier, most of the problems are down to software though and are merely a nuicance, not really worth getting involved with the reboxing and return only to find that the only option is an identical replacement.
Every TV I have exhibits problems with the EPG or BBC's text facility from time to time.
The BBC have assured me that during the times reported there were no "red button" prob's
AB

Not if they were to talk the same sort of shite as you.
--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

I'm repeating facts from other people, most of the dead TVs I've seen for myself.
--
Mrs. Jones is having her house painted, and her husband comes home from work and leans against the freshly painted wall.
The next day, she says to the painter, "You wanna see where my husband put his hand last night?"

I'm repeating facts from other people, most of the dead TVs I've seen for myself.
--
Mrs. Jones is having her house painted, and her husband comes home from work and leans against the freshly painted wall.
The next day, she says to the painter, "You wanna see where my husband put his hand last night?"
On 07/05/2018 18:14, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Our local recycling centre has a huge pile of 'dead' TVs, but they don't all seem to be the same make, nor the same size, mostly just 'obselete'.

It's funny how I see tube TVs still going after 15 years of use, yet LCD ones die in 5 years. I guess they just make the more precisely to the warranty period.
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

On 08/05/2018 12:40, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

My LCD Sony TV lasted 13 years. My Hazro(*) IPS LCD monitor is 10 years old, is used many hours per day and seems fine.
(*) Made in the UK, apart from the panel.
If people read the instructions re positioning and airflow their TVs might last longer than 4 years.
I even saw the pictures of a football 'celeb's London mansion, with the flat screen TV mounted about 18 inches above a massive 'hole in the wall' gas fire.
some people need rescuing from their own pathologic stupidity

None of the failed TVs I've seen are positioned as such. Some were used several hours a day though, which is reasonable for a family TV.
Tube TVs just didn't fall to bits like the modern shit.
--
Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.