EU survey on appliances and right to repair

I'm repeating facts from other people, most of the dead TVs I've seen for myself.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I'm repeating facts from other people, most of the dead TVs I've seen for myself.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

the vertical scanning is all wrong until it has warmed up

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes, but you wont find many TV's that went up to microwave frequencies :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

bzzt. Most people own or use a thermionic valve based appliance today.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

bzzt again

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

-- =

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our= local pet shop and they were =A370! Blow this, I thought, I can get one= cheaper off the web.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Kewpie doll time :-)

That one stumped me!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I am trying hard to think of one that I do. Aparrt from me trusty Marshall Valve amp. But thats a very minority utensil

I exclude the nmicrowave

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any fluorescent tubes? (excluding cold cathode ones)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A lot of domestic appliances use vacuum fluorescent displays, which are triodes with directly heated cathodes.

Reply to
Max Demian

But hermaphrodites are rarely fecund.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Domestic microwave ovens are all based on a magnetron. Then there are VFDs, which are matrix triodes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I never knew that. I guess I should be grateful I don't need to.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nope.

And they arent valves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dont have one. All LEDS. I havent seen a vaccuum display on new kit in 15 years

And its a bit strange to call that an appliance base.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would argue that these are not 'thermnionic valves' with a 'long warm up time'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are as much valves as thermionic diodes are. Were gas-filled voltage regulators cold cathode, they'd still have been colloquially valves? What about thyratrons? Anyway, the OP said thermionic, not valve related.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Are you sure about that? They were once common, but mostly LED these days.

Have one in the old car, and it's brighter than any LED display I've seen so good in the sun.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, he said thermionic valve as in :

"bzzt. Most people own or use a thermionic valve based appliance today."

Which was a stupid attempt at trolling because he obviously was just being a smartarse and reassigning a different meaning from 'thermionic valve' than had been used by the person he responded to.

In short Tabbypurr was just trying to be clever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher