EU survey on appliances and right to repair

It depends how old tha appliance is. LED backlights have only just come out on larger stuff. Perhaps the little screens on satnavs have had them longer.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Ok, yes, but I was going back to the original mention of thermionic, I didn' t realise you were specifically replying to Tabbypurr. I see what you mean now. And I do wonder why I think a voltage regulator in a B7G glass envelope *is* a valve but a relay or a crystal in the same package is not. Probably because I'm wrong.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Our local recycling centre has a huge pile of 'dead' TVs, but they don't all seem to be the same make, nor the same size, mostly just 'obselete'.

Reply to
Andrew

Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder, bought last year, manual dated 2015.

Before that, Humax HDR-Fox T2 PVR, bought 2014, came out in 2010.

Do what?

Reply to
Max Demian

Built using higher spec components with a better rating.

My next TV will be a 43 inch IPS PC monitor and my Humax HD stb will provide the picture signal, with sound via my Amptastic Mini 1 amp.

My existing Hazro IPS monitor is 10 years old and going fine as a 'TV' but a bit too small.

Reply to
Andrew

Do you live in a caravan, powered by a gen-set or inverter connected to a battery ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It's funny how I see tube TVs still going after 15 years of use, yet LCD ones die in 5 years. I guess they just make the more precisely to the warranty period.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, why would that cause the LCD film to peel?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The latter wasn't mentioned by 'tabbypurr' in "Most people own or use a thermionic valve based appliance today."

Anyway, nowadays, s/warm/boot/

Reply to
Max Demian

My LCD Sony TV lasted 13 years. My Hazro(*) IPS LCD monitor is 10 years old, is used many hours per day and seems fine.

(*) Made in the UK, apart from the panel.

If people read the instructions re positioning and airflow their TVs might last longer than 4 years.

I even saw the pictures of a football 'celeb's London mansion, with the flat screen TV mounted about 18 inches above a massive 'hole in the wall' gas fire.

some people need rescuing from their own pathologic stupidity

Reply to
Andrew

damp, humidity, black mould.

Reply to
Andrew

None of the failed TVs I've seen are positioned as such. Some were used several hours a day though, which is reasonable for a family TV.

Tube TVs just didn't fall to bits like the modern shit.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And how would an inverter cause this?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The orignal 'thermionic valve' was a device that regulated current in some way. And whose *primary* PURPOSE was to do that. Magnetrons and vacuum tube displays to not have current as output, but microwaves and light. So too does a CRT. So I dont class them as thermionic valves, and thermionic means ions and a hot cathode so not relays in valve holders either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our 40" Toshiba, that we bought about years ago, has recently gone to the "tip." I did strip it down first and found that it was the backlight that had gone. Unfortunately it consisted on 5 rows of 2 strips with 5 extremely bright triple, encapsulated LEDs on each strip. Five of the strips had 2 of the 5 triples failed (causing the controller to shutdown). New strips are £25 each, so I decided that £125 + postage to fix a 5-year old TV, wasn't worth it against £300 for a new 43" 4K one.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Quite long, doesn't a microwave add 30 secs to the cook time from a cold start.

The warmup time is so long that Bill gates was totally beaten and never produced a microwave oven version of Windoze.

It's certainly thermionic, it has a magnetron with a heater and cathode.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

If they were dual standard they certainly did.

In Russia, CRT tvs were a major cause of domestic fires.

Reply to
Andrew

What was her name ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Dual standard?

Not in the UK. There are many people still using them, yet they haven't been on sale for a decade.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

;)

Reply to