Swapping a Sky LNB from dual to quad

Easy DIY job or not?

My parents have just had a load of work done (by me of course) and they will need a quad LNB fitting.

Is it as simple as getting the ladders off the van, swapping it and then looking on the Sky tuning menu for signal strength. Maybe a small tweak if needed (and that can only be a rotational twist of the LNB as the dish is already aiming in the right direction) and then you are done, or am I being too optimistic?

Reply to
ARW

Should be, can be easier with a satfinder for under a tenner

Saves playing "bernie the bolt" with instructions from somebody in the lounge relaying information to the person at the foot of the ladder

Reply to
Andy Burns

I put a dish up just using the built in signal strength meters once.

I have swapped an LNB once without having to realign anything.

If its a proper sky lnb you just set the rotation to the scale on the side, it should be the same as the existing one.

Reply to
dennis

works for me ....

Reply to
Mobilohm ...

IMHO a phone on speaker in a shirt pocket has made life a *lot* easier for such jobs (if less entertaining for the neighbours).

And if Adam's parents don't have a pair of DECT phones he should buy them some: how else is his father meant to call for tea on the maid's day off?

Reply to
Robin

Maids at my parents? Have I missed something?

Reply to
ARW

I think that there are two possible problems:

1) The age of the existing LNB. There are at least two sizes and the newer ones don't fit the older dishes and vice-versa. You need to measure up beforehand or obtain one with adapters for both.

2) ISTR, but am less certain on this, that non-Sky LNBs can have a different "neck" so they end up further forward or back and not properly at the focal point. Again the right ones can be obtained.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's a lot easier to replace the dish at the same time. There's very little cost difference. Reasons are that the LNB bolts might be rusted up and the fact that LNB holders vary.

If you do decide to use the same dish be aware that the quads are a bit heavier and the arm will settle a bit lower, so an elevation adjustment might be needed.

If you change the dish simply look down on the existing one from above and line up the LNB arm against something on the ground (a bit of wood or a ruler). Then set the azimuth (left-right) of the new dish so it's the same. Then adjust the elevation (up down) for the strongest signal. Then double check the azimuth. Use a Fringe satmeter.

|pcrid|72935509697|kword||match||plid|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-FRINGE-Aerial__Satellite_Equipment-AP02834

Or google CPC satellite meter or look on the Fringe website. They're about £20. They are far better than other makes.

Some LNB have built-in polarisation offset which means that for the correct offset (twisting of the LNB in the mount) the body of the LNB will be roughly upright. But some don't. So you really should set the offset. Unfortunately the only accurate way is to use something that reads 'signal quality'. You can do it with the receiver's built in meter though. Wait a while after each adjustment to allow the reading to stabilise.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, subject to the proviso of different generations of dish using different mounts

Consider an octo when you're up there. Also research whether the new Sky Q system needs different LNB feeds from 'traditional' Sky Plus.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I swapped mine and didn't need to realign anything.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes it does.

Sky Q uses a pair of wide band outputs and a digital receiver to get about 12 channels from the two outputs.

You can get an octo one with the two Q outputs and 6 old style ones I think.

Reply to
dennis

12 channels? There were only 3 channels when I was at school:-)

I'll look into the octo you mentioned. That would actually be quite handy as I have fitted provision for Sky+ in 3 places at their place.

Ta.

Reply to
ARW

If I get details of the LNB holder etc would you be able to tell me what to buy (assuming I don't want to replace the dish)

Cheers, that and you other points are noted.

Reply to
ARW

Bill said the same thing. I'll have a look at what is up ATM. I am not in a rush as any extra Sky stuff will not be ordered until closer to Christmas.

Reply to
ARW

Have you thought about a multiswitch? Bundle of 8 cables from an Octo LNB is big and messy IMHO. 4 from a Quad or Quattro LNB is not so bad. Also less connections out in the weather.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It isn't easy!

Bill