Is this true about HD ????

Page 6 of 15  
MikeP wrote:

Some of them are downright arrogant about it. Many, many years ago I was knocking on a door with my TV service caddy in view. A neighbor came out and asked, "telEphono?" I said, "No, TELevision." She repeated her question and I repeated my answer. She repeated the process over and over until I said, "teleBIsion." As if she couldn't figure out what I was talking about, she maintained her ground until I used the Spanish pronunciation of the same damned word.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

hotels and tourist sections? BIG difference.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

No I got by in the public markets, non-tourist areas. There has always been ways to communicate, lots of mixed language and pointing usually gets the job done. More often than not someone around can translate.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But you did not try to get a job, especially a good paying one. Try to go to school to learn things. In otherwords, you weren't living there. BIG difference, yet again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

That is a good reason for someone to personally decide to learn English. I just don't see how that would be a reason for someone else to get bent out of shape because some had not yet learned English or had decided not to. It should be a personal choice.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Same here. As long as I made a little effort to attempt their language, I've always found foreigners to be helpful. Maybe if you don't act like un pendejo, it helps.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? You won't do that?
FYI, retard, I'm currently in Spanish lessons. I feel this is necessary. So would I if I was planning an extended trip to a Spanish speaking country.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What it means that I doubt you'll actually pick up the phone and ask to speak to a speech therapist about why it takes longer (or forever) for adults to pick up a second language.
By the way, here's a response that's not allowed - it's already been crushed in lots of other identical discussions: "I'm taking language lessons, and they can, too". It's not always true, for any number of obvious reasons.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Steve B wrote:

Good idea, maybe you should leave? Why do you want those who disagree with your prejudice should leave?

So you think it is wrong to offer signs in Spanish for those who are hear less than one year?

If we think you are not a good citizen, should we tell you to leave?

The question was about Home Depot providing the signs. No one is asking you to. Why do you feel the way you do? Do you fear something.

How is your opinion that certain people should leave a fact? It may be a fact that someone does not know English, but what that means about their right to remain in this country is opinion not fact. Do you need a definition of fact in another language?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

Oh, those poor stupid Mennonites, here for *centuries* and many are still so stupid they speak German.
--
snipped-for-privacy@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

All, at least the ones I grew up with, spoke English, also. The debate is seldom about English only, but hey don't let that get in your way...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language of business and commerce. Don't have any problem with people speaking Esperanto if they want to amongst their friends, relatives, etc. But English is still the main language and for assimilation purposes, people need to speak it.

English. How you get that, from the constitution, is beyond comprehension,.

speaking kids out of bilingual classes and into English only schools increases their grades, etc. Bilingual teaching is a method of ghettoization.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

But why does it concern you? If they think it makes life easier to them, they will learn. What other things would you want to change about them? I wonder what they might want to change about you? IMO Diversity is one thing that makes a great country. The fear and hate of diversity is what makes a terrible country.

I might suggest that the question was about signs at Home Depot.
I think that the question of public education should be reviewed.
I might also remind you of the treatment of Native Americans in this country and forcing their children to not only learn English, but punishing them for using their native languages. To me that was a truly ugly part of our history. I see much of the same attitudes showing up here.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It concerns me because it makes for a permanent underclass. As I mentioned, they can retain the old ways (like the Chinese, Irish and other number of previous waves of immigration over the years). But they ALSO need to learn Spanish to function in the society.

discussion has evolved into the rest of it.

this case. The studies show that the punishment (by not assimilating, having problems communicating, limiting advancement, etc) is more subtle and inflicted on them by those trying to "help" them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

How so?

The comments I have read in this thread are not subtle. They show fear and hate, but mostly a lack of understanding.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

education, etc. You gonna tell me you know many successful people in the US who speak ONLY Spanish.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You know, I don't know of very many second generations immigrants from any country that don't know the local language. You don't have to force people or sham them into learning the second language. I had some friends from Africa. Within the first year the father had passable English, the three kids spoke English better than many US born kids and mom still only understood a few words of English. Everyone got along fine and dad was doing very well economically.
I don't want to discourage anyone from learning English, but why do so many people fear people who don't speak English. Why can't they let others decide for themselves?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

All that may be true, but don't you think it should be their business not yours?

So? What is your point?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

status in the US, then it becomes my business and the business of anyone else who is a citizen.

That those who don't speak the language are much more likely to relegated to the underclasses.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kurt Ullman wrote:

And you don't think they should have a choice?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.