Home Depot True Stories

Let's start a new thread.

I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In any transaction.

I think it will be a short thread.

Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.

Steve, who's waiting in anticipation

Reply to
Steve B

Count me in.

On the most recent occasion, the cashier thought I was weird, as if a normal person would never do that.

As Bruce Williams used to say, you wouldn't steal something big, why would you become a thief because it was just a little?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well, yesterday at Lowes. Cashier forgot to ring up an item. I pointed it out. No way I'm going to just steal something due to an oversite.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I've had that happen to me several times. Often when I buy plumbingitems I screw them together to make sure they fit and keep them together, and the girl will ring up just one of them. If I hate thieves why should I steal?

Reply to
Nick Hull

A couple of weeks ago we bought ten cans of paint at lowes and I was charged for eleven of them. I questioned the charge since it seemed high to me and we had to hold up the line while everything got rescanned.

Reply to
badgolferman

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:00:53 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re Home Depot True Stories:

While you are waiting your wife is doing the neighbor.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Not exactly what you want, but not until I got home did I notice that I had been charged $2.50 for an item that I had not ordered. Since Home Depot is 10 miles away, I decided to forget it since it would have cost that much in gas. Now I watch their cashiers like a hawk. BTW, Lowes is further but I prefer to shop there. Frank

Reply to
Frank

I don't have a HD story but one time a brokerage firm credited me with an extra $50,000. I called my broker, told him and he said, "Wait and see what happens". I waited...what happened was that a couple of weeks later they caught the error and grabbed the 50 large.

The moral...I should have called my broker and told him I wanted to withdraw *everything* and close the account. Then I should have gone to Costa Rica :)

Reply to
dadiOH

So our local Home Depot has the Self Check thing. Can you complain to yourself about yourself?? What if you are the one who forgot to ring up an item? I don't think I've ever rang up something I wasn't supposed to and over charged myself.

Scott Let's start a new thread.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Reprinted from previous thread:

Here is my story:

I was in Home Depot for some miscellaneous items and noticed a water dispenser (the kind that heats and chills water from a water bottle, free standing) with a sign on top of it that said $89.00. I had been looking at these because my wife wanted one for the house and I had been researching prices. I knew that this one was regularly about $200 and saw that the tabletop models were right next to the ones with the special sign. I was not looking to buy one of these at that moment, but I knew that was the wrong price. I grabbed the sales rep in that area and told him that I think that sign is supposed to be on the table top models. He argued with me and said that no, the special was for these standalones. I then asked; if I carry this down to the register, is it going to ring up at $89.00? He said absolutely. I told him that I had been looking at these and that was an exceptional price for that model, it was even a good price for the table top model and that he should check to make sure that that was the correct price. He then became surly and informed me that this was his dept. and he had installed the sign and knew what he was talking about.

At that point, I decided if that was the price, I needed to buy it, since it was such a good deal. I asked him to come with me to the checkout to make sure there were no problems. He grabbed a cart, put the dispenser in it and walked up to the checkout with me. The cashier scanned the bar code and it rang up at $192.00 and change. I looked at the sales guy and, without a word, he did an override on the transaction and sold me the unit for $89.00. The next time I passed by there, the sign was on the table top model.

In addition to that one, I always point out undercharges and overcharges. The last one was a set of wedges for an axe handle that I found in the basket while loading my items into my truck. Took them back inside to pay the $1.29. The cashier looked at me funny and told me he couldn't believe I came back for that. I just told him that I like to sleep at night.

Reply to
Robert Allison

You have failed to swear and avow that you have done this at EVERY opportunity in your life.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Did they collect the earned interest from your account, also?

-- Oren

Oren

You have failed to swear and avow that you have done this at EVERY opportunity in your life.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't go to home depot but I was at a store the other day and the clerk gave me an extra $20 with the change. I gave it back just like I did on the few other times something similar happened.

Reply to
George

Well of course I have not pointed out every little thing. It all comes out in the end. For example, I've bought things only to find they were defective and never returned it, or an important piece was missing. There have been times I've overpaid and didn't realize it 'til I was halfway home, and didn't go back. This is the same concept as the "give a penny, take a penny" tray at many cash registers. You never see those empty, do you?

It's not a question of honesty, it's a question of practicality. It's best for everyone this way. And if you asked store executives behind closed doors, they'd tell you the same thing. It costs more money to get it all right than is involved in the transaction to begin with.

Reply to
jeffc

And who can blame her really, after living with so much anal retentiveness?

Reply to
jeffc

I don't need to. You however have confessed in public that you are of low moral character. We don't need any further information. You are what you said you are.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Actually I was on the development team for those things. And we determined that it would be just as easy to steal from the store going through a regular lane as going through them. In other words, if someone is going to steal, it's easy to steal. The security measures on the self checkout lanes are probably overkill since they probably slow down transactions more than they catch anyone shoplifting. In a supermarket, every item has to be placed in bags where they are weighed precisely. In Home Depot, it's hardly practical to put each large item that you might buy there on the security/bag scale.

Reply to
jeffc

I do this when it involves too much change because the cashier has to pay that out of their pocket. But no one can make or count change nowadays, and they give your change to you in a wad.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Speaking of anal, I am putting you and Caesar in the plonk file. A nice dark place.

Y'all have fun now, hear?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B