Home Depot True Stories

I can think of a couple. I bought a few things at Wal-Mart, including a pair of work shoes that were $39.99. It rang up to less than $25.00. I knew that couldn't be right, and said so. The clerk hadn't scanned the shoes. She corrected it, and I paid it. I have been given incorrect change in my favor several times, and I've always pointed it out. I'm also quick to point out when they overcharge me. I recently had a cake scan the higher and the wrong price in the self-serve check out at Albertson's. I had to get a clerk to help since the cake was on sale. She insisted on giving it to me for free, I said I didn't mind paying the correct price, but she said it was store policy, so I took it. That's just me, but I can't speak for others.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

There was a woman on TV from Boston who has been banned from a supermarket chain because she gets so much for free. She looks at the stuff and if it looks odd, goes to buy it, price is wrong and she gets for free.

Also, I want to add to thread, that cashier's register tape must match cash in draw. These folks are not rocket scientists and get low paid. They may have to make up any discrepencies, so don't take advantage of them if they give you too much change.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

So Steve, in your little world, it's ok to steal from a company, but not from a cashier.

Got it.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I'm really sorry that you didn't read the original post. You keep preaching about your own high moral level and my low one. You still have failed to swear and avow that in your life you have taken the high road. We are of different cloth. But at least I'm not saying I'm perfect and have never done anything wrong. I have read about a man who could do that, but you're not Him.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I go in. I get my goods. I plop them on the counter. I pay what they say it is unless they say it is too much. If that makes me a thief, than that's what I am.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm not sure I agree that they should ban HER for their errors, but I guess whatever works. Here in CA they have to give it to you for the sale price, even if they just forgot to take down the sale sign. I think that's fair, since a person might buy several of an item, thinking it's a certain price.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I do have pity on the lowly paid cashier's and will not take too much change. That would come out of the cashier's pay. I do not have any pity on management that misprices goods. MOSTl laws say that if the price is on the goods, that's what you pay. RIGHT OR WRONG. (unless it's overpriced, and then you better catch it, or they won't)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't think crooks get to make the rules for determining who is honest. Hopefully, someday when you accidently put too many zeros on a check when paying a bill, your karma won't use that instant to bite you back. Rationalize all you want.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Yes, we've figured that out.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Thank you, Cheri. I checked with the door man. He checked with the manager. They set the price and wrote it down on a piece of paper. I paid the cashier that price. It all seemed simple to me, and at the time a very good deal. I still do not think I took unfair advantage.

In your story, some of these people would give your shopper grief for demanding the item at the sale price because management didn't put the proper sign on it.

There was no concealment. There was no switching of prices. There was no evil intent to go into the store and get something without paying for it. From the time THEY took them off the rack until I loaded them in my truck, I did not touch them. (I touched the cart.)

Ever think maybe the manager said, "Geez, these are the last two. They're discontinued. One is damaged. Let's blow them out of here. Let him have both at $39 each." They do this all the time with orphan pups. I never looked at the slip, and don't know what he wrote. I just paid the girl.

sheesh

Steve

Reply to
Steve B
[...]

Indeed. In fact, you've quite clearly said exactly the opposite.

I'm not perfect either. One difference between you and me is that I'm

*ashamed* of my misdeeds -- whereas you're proud of yours.
Reply to
Doug Miller

When you *know* it's too little, and you don't speak up, then you *are* a thief.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I think the reason for the law in CA is that many stores were doing it to the point that it could hardly be a mistake, though couldn't be proven. Sort of like those ads where they advertise a certain price to "bait" customers to the store, and then don't have the item. They have to give rainchecks, but sometimes they never get the goods in, no matter how many times you check. I've found that to be true quite often at Walgreen's. It's kind of gotten to be a joke where I live. Many of us say we like to read the Walgreen's Sunday Ad, just to see what they don't have in stock. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

And then you and your wife "ran like hell"

Got it!

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

I do so, whenever I notice. At food service places, they generally just tell me to take it anyway. Presumeably that's because fixing it is too much trouble.

Why are you putting so much effort into justifying your behavior? You're not feeling anything like shame, are you?

Reply to
Goedjn

That's where you're a better man than me. I'm perfectly willing to point out errors at the time.. after all, if I wasn't willing to pay the real price I wouldn't be buying it in the first place, but I'm not willing to put too much effort into it.

Reply to
Goedjn

Well, it's about time. I was wondering if you were ever going to get it the way you keep going over it and going over it and going over it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I paid what the MANAGER wrote on the ticket. How does that make me a thief?

The following is an answer I wrote to Cheri:

Ever think maybe the manager said, "Geez, these are the last two. They're discontinued. One is damaged. Let's blow them out of here. Let him have both at $39 each." They do this all the time with orphan pups. I never looked at the slip, and don't know what he wrote. I just paid the girl.

sheesh

And PUHLEEZE, just say what you'd have done, and don't assign your values to me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Careful, Cheri. With that position, you may soon be called a thief.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

Yeah. Darn right. I had to go to the bathroom, and we were double parked under the porte cochere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B