Builders - happy stories?

So occasionally you get the builders in....

As post why I despair with builders I thought i'd go the other way and ask, has anyone ever had builders in, had the job done promptly, at the estimated cost and been entirely happy with it?

Reply to
R D S

Yes, but they're Hungarian

Reply to
nothanks

In message <rjo5h9$55g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, R D S snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Bit of a contradiction there:-)

Builders will always try to circumvent building control requirements. I think it relates to BC minimum standards cater for *worst case* situations. Generally ground is not wet clay with visible tree roots!

Paying your architect to supervise the job stops most of this.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. But the builder is my cousin. The plumber, on the other hand...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Had a plasterer who was really good: knew how to use email, job started and finished on schedule, had a work plan from day one, cleaned up at the end of every day. Will have him back to do more jobs.

The local roofer is pretty good.

All that in contrast to the joiner who was slow in every sense of the word. Job due to start Spring 2018, finished a year later, as a joiner ?cutting and fitting bits of wood? he was painfully perfectionist, in every other aspect, design, planning, installation, I wish I had done it mysel.

Reply to
DJC

Had a local builder in, the boss was about my age I think, did the roof repairs, redesign (limited) and slates. 5 windows, sundry replacement oak lintels and a small extension for a wet room. kept to budget except for extras which were reasonable and my fault. Unfortunately the architect had us contracting the electrics and plumbing ourselves and the plumber refused to talk, let alone come and work, after the first fix. So I had to do it. Despite this the work was done promptly and well and to budget. All the staff good natured and helpful. A relatively restful experience, except for doing the tiling.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

In article <rjo5h9$55g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, R D S snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Very happy with the builder when we had our extension done. Stuck to quote. Never asked for extra. The other trades not so, plumber, electrician, window fitters not so good.

Reply to
bert

Yes, had a bungalow more or less completely gutted, and extended.

On time, (well probably an extra month added on to the quoted seven month time scale, because Covid hit five months in, but that's force majeure etc)

All extra costs/work was flagged up in advance, and choices always presented.

Final invoice was done in MS Word ! I tried to import into Excel to check it, gave up, and used paper and a calculator. All was spot on.

Reply to
Mark Carver

We know a really good plasterer but he hates plastering! Probably because he feels compelled to do a good job so agonises over getting it spot on. He often abandons plastering for other work and you can only get him to do a job under duress.

Reply to
R D S

I have dealt with thousands of builders and I was always amazed and impressed when I met a good one......

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

This one wanted to be an electrician, but all the courses were full so he did plumbing instead, then took up plastering and tiling because it speeded up bathroom fitting not waiting for another trade. (And he hate dust!)

Reply to
DJC

So do we, mid forties and dying of emphysema

Reply to
AJH

Yes Yes and Yes. Plus I'd never used them before.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike