Is this true about HD ????

Page 5 of 15
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How do you figure that? I don't recall a law to that effect.

You need to get out more often. It is done in English, Spanish, French Japanese and many other languages.
BTW, how do you feel about Native American languages. It was there country long before the English came.

It does?? How? I had one kid working for me some years ago who could speak 5 languages well. He was screwed up, but I assure you it had nothing to do with language.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I know at least a half dozen recent immigrants who can spell "tongue".

The "fact" is that the best time to learn language is from birth to age 8-ish, although some people have a unique knack for it for their entire lives. New languages can be a bitch to learn, and lame attitudes toward immigrants don't help at all. The best way to learn is through immersion - being dumped right into a new language environment where you have no choice.
Just the facts. If you doubt them, call your nearest school and ask to speak to an experienced speech therapist. You won't do that, though.
The best way to learn is through immersion -

out by only speaking their native tongue.

Of course, that's an inaccurate observation, since you don't like these people, so YOU don't interact with them at all.

crap up to try and win a point. We have many Mexicans working down here doing landscaping. I have invited families to break bread with us. I have given them clothes, used and new. I bring out drinks when they are working in our community. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me I don't like these people?

A comment like this doesn't suggest warm fuzzy feelings about people:
"Right now we are giving a choice and they are taking the easy way out by only speaking their native tongue."
JerryL wrote:

And that hurts you exactly how?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If you can't communicate with people,then you can't understand them,cannot come to common ground. Just get in a collision with a person who speaks no English,how can you determine if they are hurt,or get DL and insurance data? (if they have it at all,chances are that they won't.)
I've had to deal with enough Hispanics with little or no English.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Funny, that has never happened to me. I have never consider it a problem when I have been in countries where I did not understand the local language. I have always managed to get by.
I would be far more worried about getting in an accident with someone who was high on something and while they might be a life long English speaker, they can't communicate in any language. (Yea, that one did happened to me)
How often has that happened to you? :-)
Really, you are stretching.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Really? How were you at job interviews, or explaining your sick children's symptoms and medical history to an emergency room doctor?
Mys Terry wrote:

Gee, I don't think it is likely to happen often in the US. Do you?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
In article <qnDYf.80108$UZ5.14323

Non English speaking people place a huge burden on hospital emergency rooms in California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, Arizona .... happens thousands of times a day.
My personal experience involving a car accident. She spoke prefect English when she asked to use my cell phone. When the police arrived she 'claimed' not to speak English. Later she delayed the insurance investigators by 'claiming' not to speak English. Her land lord only spoke English, her employer only spoke English and her boy friend only spoke English.... go figure.

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

So is the appropriate smart-ass remark "Anecdote is not the same as data" or some admonishment about the futility of n=1 studies (g).

....which leads one to wonder where reasoning skills come from. Parents? Schools? The passage of years?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Thousands of times a day is more than one.

Time for some stats, please. You know....links. Or, do you have spies in emergency rooms around the country?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Just walk into an emergency room in the USA. There are notices posted in emergency rooms, concerning the emergency care must be provided. It does not matter if the facility is private or public, by law anyone that walks through the door will be evaluated and possibly treated by a doctor. In order to provide the level of care mandated by law, hospitals pay a premium for bilingual staff and translators. FWIW, in the past, my wife was 'on call' to sign for the hearing impaired. Does this make her a spy? :-) On top of the language issues, many of the non English speaking legal/illegal immigrants do not have the cash or insurance to pay for the care that must be provided ... you and I, the tax payers, end up footing their bill and our own.

Many English speaking patients don't have the cash or insurance either. Eight weeks ago, I didn't. We're going to need to see some stats to back up your claims that within the set of people without cash or insurance, the subset that doesn't speak English is a major one.