Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

You can't compare our gardens to 1500 acres of green peppers.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

What part is complicated? The kid is a citizen and can stay if the parents want to abandon them (which sorta indicates that the kid was essentially a way to green card instead of a kid). The parents want to keep the kid, then they take the kid home with them.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My family and I have been in the grocery biz for what seems like forever. Believe me - for basic items like vegetables, the margins are NOT what you'd probably guess.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think you'd need to address the problems surrounding foster homes, and where in our always-flexible budget the money would come from when the need for that service triples.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

So you are essentially saying that most people of Mexican origin get preggers solely to get a green card. Sorta racist outlook to me. Split the difference then. The kid has to go back, but retains citizenship for when M and/or Dad qualify for return or they hit 18. From my reading, that is essentially how many European countries do it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

No - I'm not saying anything about their reasons for coming here. I'm just responding to your suggestion, which, if it became reality, might create yet another layer of public assistance.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It sounds like it to me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why? Either way seems pretty innocuous. Our way is probably based (unconsciously) on the idea that because it's such a big place, we can absorb lots of new citizens. Other countries don't have to see things the same way, although it's popular to not agree with that last idea.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You are saying that most of the parents would leave their kids behind, otherwise there would be no increase in public assistance. But we would eliminate a layer of public assistance relative to that spent on the parents. 100% of the parents a most of the kids since most would take them back with them.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

American

  1. Of or relating to North or South America............ I rest my case.
Reply to
Spike2

So Germany (which actually publishes the fact that 100,000 kids or so a year are born in the country but are not given automatic citizenship (see Germany's listing on justlanded.com for the figure), Belgium and even Mexico are police states?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In article , "

Acutally the 14th amendment was a child of the Civil War and was originally put in place largely to avoid people playing games with the citizenship of freed slaves.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

OK. You're right. Now, how are we going to arrange for all those Americans south of the equator to vote in our next election?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Then, that's enough to back up the idea that our method of granting citizenship to newborns is no better or worse than anyone else's. Except, of course, those evil Belgians. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Why would Americans vote in the US election, it is for US citizens only? Oh and don't forget about the Americans that are north of us, they can't vote in our election either. Those dad blasted govt schools again!

Reply to
plug

I guess. Maybe. Or, leave them with relatives. Who knows?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Never said otherwise. As for Belgium.. what else could you expect:

"The reason the Earth has been shunned for so long is also due to a language problem. On Earth, Belgium refers to a small country. Throughout the rest of the galaxy, Belgium is the most unspeakably rude word there is." -HHGG

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well, earlier in this scholarly debate, perfesser Spike2 suggested that "American-ness" in his hemisphere went beyond mere geography and labels - he implied that people in places like Bolivia were part of our political system, and that various political entities in the individual countries was meaningless. When I called him on this, he either changed the subject, or started acting childish and hurling insults. So, at this point, I'm just toying with the perfesser.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I know - it was the other guy - what's-his-name.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't recall him ever saying anything of the kind.

Reply to
Mys Terry