Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

Read the entire thread again, up to the point where he abandoned the idea, sort of.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just post the relevant quote. Otherwise, he never said it.

Reply to
Mys Terry

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:Ty7Zf.6303$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

"Remember the Maine"?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Sounds like you're as lazy or busy as I am. I'm not your secretary. Re-read the thread.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I just re-read every one of Spike2's posts in this thread. He never even came remotely close to saying or even implying what you are claiming.

Reply to
Mys Terry

So, you didn't like Rickover's analysis of the ship's demise?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Here's where he ventured into the absurd:

===========================

no to me ===========================

See the paragraph beginning with "There's a big"? That's mine.

See the "no to me"? That's his response.

He is suggesting that everyone who lives on the continents which include the word "America" share national & political loyalties, and ways of thinking, with the citizens of the United States. If you agree with this, you're just being silly, or playing games here.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Man are you dense. He was disagreeing (as he has consistently) with your absurd (and incorrect) stance that "American" always and only means "US Citizen". You have been c*ck-eyed on this subject from the get-go.

The thread started concerning dual languages in store signage. Apparently they do not include whatever language is native to you.

Reply to
Mys Terry

that should have been "not to me", I left the t off while typing in a hurry. The "no to me" was referring to your assertion that: ""American", which indicates nationality, political loyalties and certain ways of thinking."

My point is and was that American indicates where you were born, ie in the Americas and now thanks to Mr Meehan I know it also applies to West Indies. :)

Reply to
Spike2

Go ask a hundred people from countries in South America, Central America and Canada what word they use to describe their nationality. Let me know how that goes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

To the best of my knowledge there has never been one language that everyone needed to adhere to.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

All that may be true, but don't you think it should be their business not yours?

So? What is your point?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I guess if we don't need one overriding religion to unify us, we sure don't need one language.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Once again, you prove that you can be very dense when you really apply yourself. Calling a resident of Mexico an American, defines where he resides geographically. not his nationality. His nationality is Mexican. He's an American, as well. He is not a U.S. citizen just because he is an American. You have gotten used to the lazy speak shortcut of calling yourself an "American" when you mean to say you are a United States of America citizen. You are also an American, but it's due to geography, not what flag you salute. The United States is a subset of the landmass that makes up the continent.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Sorry, but I'm focused on THIS, and THIS ALONE:

"no to me"

It says what it says. He believes one's place on the continent is synonymous with their political and national characteristics. Then he says it doesn't. Then it does. Then it doesn't.

Discussion over. Have a nice day.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There was never a discussion on your part, stonewall. You are doggedly insisting on being ignorant, which merely graduates you to "stupid".

Reply to
Mys Terry

I'll be talking to people in Panama and Brazil this week. I'll let you know what they think of your stupid theory.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's not a theory and it's not an opinion. It's a stone cold FACT.

Reply to
Mys Terry

The only thing that's a fact is the continents contain the word "America", and that the countries within can be called "the Americas", which they commonly are, in such places as web sites and airline route descriptions. But, to say the all the residents are "Americans" is simply to misuse a word.

A couple of years ago, a political cartoonist depicted George Bush saying "Inside every Iraqi is an American trying to get out". You probably think that's a good way to think about other nationalities.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

When we are talking about giving citizenship and/or immigrant status in the US, then it becomes my business and the business of anyone else who is a citizen.

That those who don't speak the language are much more likely to relegated to the underclasses.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman