Table leg repair

I use west system because I have it - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I used a lot of the West Systems 105/20x products when I was heavily involved with the Soap Box Derby. Lots of the 4xx fillers too.

Lately I've been using their new-ish G-Flex product for a couple of projects. Waterproof, can be used on wet surfaces, and can supposedly "absorb the stresses of expansion, contraction, shock, and vibration". We'll see. ;-) The one-to-one mixing ratio makes it easy to use for any size project. No more pumps. It's kind of runny, but it takes fillers well.

I needed to repair the plastic tub of SWMBO's garden cart and the G-Flex can be used with many types of plastics, so I gave it a try. My neighbor cracked the rolled front lip while trying to dump a too-heavy load of gravel. She paid me for the cart, so I repaired it, gave it back to her and then pre-repaired the new one I bought for SWMBO.

Pex, with slots cut as keys, spanning the curved front to stiffen it up. Added some 404 filler so it didn't run and flame treated the tub for better adhesion. We'll see how long it lasts. Might not stand up to a load of gravel, but it certainly made the front lip a lot stiffer.

Back to the topic at hand, if I was repairing that leg, I'd probably grab the G-Flex instead of the Titebond. eBay seems to have the best price since shipping is free. Cheaper than Amazon, even with Prime. Larger sizes are available.

DerbyDad03

That's a good price. I pay $30 +tips at the local marine shop for G-Flex 650.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Marine supply shops are usually the most expensive place to buy these types of items. Back before online shopping was the norm, I used to buy all my epoxy supplies at a local marine shop. When I compare prices today, it would have to be a serious epoxy emergency for me to shop there. Even on-line they are much more expensive than other sources.

I wonder how much they'd charge you for the 51 gallon size. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03