Common Hardwood Floor Wood

I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads & risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what type of wood do you think they would have used?

Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help identify. Disregard the item.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

From the colour and grain I'd say, better than 90% it is maple.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Clare Snyder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nonsense. This doesn't even remotely resembly maple. It's red oak.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I didn't look at the other pictures - and only on the small screen.and you are right - It's more likely oak

Around here maple, oak and ash are common - and the maple often has the red tint, but not the defined grain. The ash has something of a green tint, and is otherwise very similarto oak.

Today you can grt just about any kind of wood, but the older homes have "local" wood - and I just iunstalled ash flooring in our livingroomand diningroom - whuile the bedrooms are all in oak. Our oak has a LOT less color variation than the oak shown

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not red oak. Not ANY oak.

Definitely hardwood, looks familiar, but dunno what. It doesn't look like maple to me either. A couple of pieces do look like white oak, some look like cherry.

Reply to
dadiOH

On second thought, I'd say hickory

Reply to
dadiOH

That was my first impression. Every one of them looks like Hickory at different grain angles and color variations.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Red or White Oak but with a stain the coloration of the natural wood is difficult to tell. That said there appears to be patches with other woods. The stained color appears to be red oak.

Reply to
Leon

Looks like Ash to me.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Oak is very common here and some look like red oak, but a couple of boards I'm not so sure. Maybe take a better photo or two?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Meanie

I can't tell much fom those photos either. The wide variations in grain and colour make me think of more modern hardwood flooring - not rustic - which includes lots of defects and rough spots - but the next grade ? The oak floors in my first home - tiny 1959 bungalow - that I resurrected from under the carpeting, in 1982 - had quite uniform colour & grain, with just a few small spots that were off - - it looked real sweet after a stain and a satin urethane. Perhaps the OP's 1949 house was previously re-floored ? or maybe it was built from various home-sawn materials ? .. just a thought. John T.

Reply to
hubops

NOW it looks like oak.

Reply to
dadiOH

Some of the grain in this pic definitely looks like Oak, probably white.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looks just like our floors, specified in our building contract as #1 common red oak.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

+1

Some of the boards have "rays" that look red oakish, some don't. Is it possible it's a mix of red and white oak? Some of the boards have the longer rays, like white oak.

Reply to
krw

That's what I saw, too. Especially in the additional photos.

Reply to
-MIKE-

With the green tinge I'm thinking grey ash. Mine has a stain on it that warms it up a bit - but more ash-like than oak-like - and the two ARE close.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

WShat I put in was "select or better" Waterloo County Ash. 0 taking down a lot due to Emeral Ash Borer.

Back in the sixties it was Elm that was in oiver-supply due to Dutch Elm Disease.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Ok, it appears the consensus is mainly oak, perhaps red and some white. Perhaps I will purchase one red and one white oak board, stain it and see what matches best.

Thank you all for the help.

Reply to
Meanie