Speaking of miter saws,,,

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel scale is the same way.

Reply to
Leon

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to avoid confusion. Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of the board. It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15 degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees. Yeah, I know, who can't mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

No reason for it then, it's just "policy!" LOL! We could be having this same discussion if it was marked 90 degrees.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Set a speed-square against the fence and you'll have your answer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Got to be the lawyers, right?

Reply to
Markem

But zero angle, is no angle. 90 is a square cut across the fence.

Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of

If you asked some one to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of a board he would have to place the board perpendicular to the fence. Miter saws are not designed to cut angles much less than 50~60 degrees.

Probably so.

Reply to
Leon

Where am I looking to see my answer? When I set my speed square base, the wide edge, against the fence it shows 90 degrees down to the saws capacity of about 45 degrees. The speed square goes to Zero next to the fence.

Reply to
Leon

Probably. Hell even Festool does it. I suppose if the manufacturers realized this and changed, 90% of the users would be confused. Don't ask me why they would be confused.

Reply to
Leon

Make that much less than 45~30 degrees. Now I am getting confused. LOL

Reply to
Leon

My guess is that whoever designed the first popular miter saw thought it was a good idea for the scale to show the angle versus the blade. Then following manufacturers just copied the successful model.

This made me curious about how miter gauges are marked. The one that came with my table saw has a 0 center like the miter saw. Another (almost a toy) that came with a model making saw has 90 degree in the center. Finally the best of all of them, a high end Incra sled, has dual markings with both a 0 and a 90 centered scale. John

Reply to
John S

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reference planes. A 90 degree cut is referenced off the fence, while the 0 degree cut is referenced off the normal track of the blade.

I personally find it easier to work off of a 0 start point in most cases than it is to work off of a 90. If I want a 22.5 degree angle, I just set the saw to 22.5 and give up and move over to the RAS that'll actually hold my setting.

AHEM... If I want a 22.5 degree angle, I just set the saw to 22.5 or

-22.5 and don't have to do the math and figure out if I need 112.5 or

67.5?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Few would get confused at 0-degrees or 90-degrees but 44-degrees might cause a few grumbles. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I believe you have the answer right there. ;~) But really you want a

67.5 angle.... If the saw was marked correctly. But as you said, it makes bringing the measurements you took to the saw, easier.

To tell you the truth I never thought about this much until Ron Paulk mentioned how all miter saws were incorrectly marked.

Reply to
Leon

That would be 46 degrees, right? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Yep, you're right. I looked at the wrong side. I'm curious what the Miterfast thingie that came with your Kapex reads when placed against the fence. Or does it not have any readings at all?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I can cut a 15 degree angle all day on my miter saw with the internal angle being on the side snugged up to the fence. Then, when I flip the board over, the exterior angle is 75 degrees.

It's all in the perspective. That, and whatever was going through the mind of the prick that put that Zero at 90 degrees! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

IIRC The miter thing has no markings, just a manual way to set the saw up for half the measured angle.

Reply to
Leon