The TV cabinet at its permanent home

It looks much nicer there than in your shop. ;-)

At least they had the sense to show off the TV, not hide it. I never understood the sentiment that you had to hide your nice, big screen TV. Are you ashamed you watch television or something. Are you trying to pretend you don't watch TV? Always was a mystery to me.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

But in my shot I got to se it every day. ;~)

Exactly and most of the time the pieces, designed to hide the TV, are left open with the TV exposed because it is too much trouble to open and close every day.

FWIW another view of our TV setup. ;~)

Leon

That looks nice. Almost like a bar. Did you think about putting in some racks for the bottles and a few bar stools. You can sit down, have a drink. then back up and watch the big TV monster while sipping your favorite beverage. Think about it Leon. You can do it! ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

No. The base cabinet is relative low.

You can sit down, have

Actually our recliner love seat arrangement has cup holders. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I agree! When a piece is built to be purpose specific, sometimes it looks better fulfilling its designed purpose. That piece of furniture looks really pretty with the TV in it.

Just being picky here Leon, but your photo doesn't do credit to that piece. In person, it is quite striking, and the design elements are much more apparent. I not only liked that piece (so did Kathy!)a lot, but thought it was quite clever.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I love the wood and the color. I like that the drawer fronts are not mitered. I like the "slot" down the middle of the uprights.

The one thing that surprises me is the dimensions of the TV as compared with the opening in the unit. When I saw the pics in your shop I assumed the TV would fit between the uprights and that the space between the TV and the "frame" would be the same on the sides and at the top. If I were the client I think I'd have asked or the unit to be wider, and perhaps a little shorter.

But, of course, I'm not. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Thank you!

Yes, not mitered! Mitered does look better in some instances but simply in the long run not as strong.

I like the "slot" down the middle of the uprights.

This all had to be a specific size and I also considered the very likely probability that a replacement TV will be even larger. All dimensions were requested to be the same size of the fireplace that was once in that very spot. This is the drawing that the client signed off on.

Leon

Yes many of my pieces fill specific desires by the client and do in deed look odd when not in the place that it is designed to go. Until I added the TV in the drawing, that I presented for the client to sign off on, I was not sure either. ;~)

It does not. I forgot to bring my better dedicated camera, that picture was with my iPhone. I'll be back though, tow more pieces have been ordered for the bed room. I'll try to remember to take the good camera. ;~)

In person, it is quite striking, and the design elements are

Thank you Robert, and Kathy too!

PS Will the two of you be visiting us at Christmas?

Reply to
Leon

Just now realized that you were talking about MY TV set up. IIRC the iPhone was used on that too. I showed that piece to three different people this week, in our house. It still gets the ooh's and ahh's. ;)

Kim has heard my "spheil" so many times she can almost recite it word for word. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

I had no doubt it was what the client requested.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Just eyeballing it, my guess is that if the client upgrades the set by one increment, you'll have the same effect. The edge of the set will coincide with the width and the top of the set will set ~ even with top of the "mantle."

We have a base cabinet only for our 52" flat panel. Wanted to go larger with the set but SWMBO was reluctant (for you unmarried types that means it was a non-starter at that time). The base however is a bit "over width." Not so much that it looks weird but wider than it need be. The strangest thing is that if I were to replace it with a 65" flat panel (the recommended maximum for the room setting, that TV will be just perfectly situated just hair under 2" narrower than the base cabinet. Just a happy coincidence I assure you. (Leastwise that is my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

But that will all depend on the width of the perimeter bezel and the height of the stand the TV is mounted on.

Our set up is good for up to a 90" TV. My wife was reluctant to go from

46 to 70 but after watching the 70 for almost a year she did not want anything smaller when that set pooped out.
Reply to
Leon

As alluded to, it's more of a "guestimation" but in this case I "think" moving up to the next larger size screen would probably address Greg's concern. Myself? I don't find anything "wrong" with the set up as photographed. OTOH, if it had been built to perfectly "frame" the existing set, they'd be SOL if they wanted to upgrade.

Funny how that goes, eh? SWMBO was dragged, kicking and screaming, into flat panel land from a nice 36" CRT. My initial foray occurred right about the time of the phaseout of analog and intro of digital television so I had that going for me. There's a formula out there for calculating the maximum practical size of a television screen given the distance between the normal viewing position and the screen. My 52" is at one end of the range and a 65" will take up to near maximum. I recommend to friends that they buy according to that formula (or at least give it serious consideration) and go large. Not much more expense at the outset but they'll enjoy the results

Did your client give any consideration to utilizing one or more segments of the "mantle" to house the center channel speaker(s)? Seems to me that would be a good move. Just replace the solid "panel" with audio transparent material.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

We actually ended up downsizing from 70 to 65 and she was not happy. :~)

I actually suggested that there be more shelves on bottom for L,R, and center speakers but in her words, we are not really into all that kind'a stuff. We just need the TV and the DVR.

The panels on the drawers and mantel doors are permanently captured so they would need to be rebuilt.

When delivering the unit she mentioned to her husband, "we need to get with it on all this new technology".

Fortunately the new components like AppleTV, Roku, and the likes are tiny and adding in the center at the bottom would not be an issue. In fact the Roku3, maybe all models, are RF so placement in the mantel would not be an issue. The columns are hollow with open backs, wiring would not be a problem.

Had they elected for all 3 openings on the bottom to have the cloth panels they could have hidden all the "furure" front speakers and more equipment. Oh well, all I would have to do is remove the drawers and build 2 more cloth panel doors.

Reply to
Leon

Yessir!

Just locked in with Karl. We will be there as soon as we can!

Both of us are looking forward to see "all yall".

Robert (and Kathy!)

Reply to
nailshooter41

He passed along the good news. Can't wait to see Y'all.

Sorry to hear bout your mother and the life chaos and it sounds a whole like what we have been going through with dad. He has lived in 4 different places since this time last year and has been in the hospital

4 times between Dec of last year and the middle of June this year. The last 6 months have been considerably less stressful. Nursing homes/memory care homes are not as they appear to be on the surface.
Reply to
Leon