Table Saw Help

My portable (on site) 10" Hitachi table saw took a dump the other day. I disassembled the motor and discovered the winding bearings are shot. Lowest replacement cost I found is $260 for the motor. As much as I would love to buy a new full size TS, but that's not gonna happen. Therefore, I've resorted to the used dept of either size and currently there are several on CL but I'm uncertain of good brands and their value other than the likes of Grizzly, Jets, Powermatic, etc.

I'm asking for suggestions and help to determine value and anything else you can offer.

There is this much older Grizzly TS

that I may consider (if I can fit it in my area) but not certain if it's worth the asking price.

Also this Bosch portable model

Dewalt

Grizzly - they're asking $325 for this one

There are many more but most are Craftsman which I'm staying away from and a couple Rigids which I'm apprehensive about as well from reading some reviews. Plus, I'm not sure I like the belt driven motor sticking out.

If anyone wants to see the others listed in my area and provide input, it's appreciated, otherwise, I'll focus more so on what I provided above.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

Have you tried eBay for your Hitachi bearings?

Reply to
Bob Villa

Were you satisfied with the saw or needing/wanting to upgrade anyway?

Is the shaft itself gone/worn; if not why not just replace bearings if question above is "no" or "not really" (to the second half, anyway :) ).

What's the motor rating/form just out of curiosity; seems a little steep albeit not absurd...

Reply to
dpb

NOt for the bearing itself but for the motor and that price was higher than the lowest I found elsewhere. I wish I could replace just the bearing but it appears to be pressed on, No screw/bolt to remove it.

Reply to
Meanie

Very satisfied. It was a good little saw and handled many big task for at least 10 years. The reason I never went bigger was due to lack of space.

The windings, shaft, bushings, etc all look good. That bottom bearing is shot and per my reply above, appears to be pressed on otherwise I would find another bearing to replace.

15 amp 110v. No HP rating though it can be converted.
Reply to
Meanie

I had one of those Dewalt 744's quite a while ago and used it for at least ten years. I got it because it was portable enough to put into a dock cart and take down to the dock where I was working on my boat. It was a good little saw. The rack-and-pinion mechanism on the fence keeps the fence dead parallel to the blade, with a useful range of 24 inches. There's stowage for spare blades on the right-hand side under the table.

When I no longer needed it on the dock I sold it to a cabinetmaker friend and he still uses it once in a while when he needs a saw at a job site. One day the motor failed to start, but I was able to get it serviced under warranty and never had trouble with it again. $180 sounds a little high to me, though, but if it's not too old and has been well-cared-for it might be an OK price.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Bob Villa

Here is the housing with internal contacts and brushes.

Here are the windings with the shaft and bearing at top.

Here are the windings with bottom bearing and where it makes contact with brushes. That bottom bearing is the shot one.

A closer view of it

And directly from bottom (or top) of that bearing.

Meanie

Just something to consider if you are going with a used bench top again. These saws are not built to last as long as contractor or cabinet saws are. Yours has become unusable, how long will it be before a used one becomes unusable.

Reply to
Leon

I may start a war, with this comment.

I have an old 1968 Craftsman 10' table saw. This was the high end craftsman, not the elcheapo. I Have been using it for about 30 years and it is still quite functional.

The Craftsman has a cast iron table with aluminum wings, giveing me about a 36 inch square working area. I did have a problem with the 1hp capacitor start motor that a repair man fixed for a couple of dollars and showed my how to fix it in the future. (Clean our the area of the motor where the capacitor is, and keep it clean.)

Because Craftsman table saws are looked down on you should be able to get a good deal on the saw.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I have one about the same vintage with cast iron extensions. Nice saw, but I wish it was bit older (like the '40s or '50).

Reply to
Bob Villa

Leon wrote in news:6rSdneZ3BODZH snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I would agree with Leon's point. If you have space, and if you don't require portability, I think you would be much wiser to pursue a contractors saw than a bench-top saw.

When you say "not sure I like the belt driven motor sticking out", is that specific to the Ridgid, or a generic concern about contractor style saws? If the latter, I don't think you need worry - I've used that style saw for ages, and don't recall ever having an issue with the motor or belt.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On 06/18/2016 10:21 AM, Meanie wrote: ...

What's the problem? A small puller and away's ya' goes...looks like it's been _way_ hot, just as a comment...

dpb

Good point.

Reply to
Meanie

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all. I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it mobilized which could add to the hindrance.

Reply to
Meanie

Agreed, older Craftsman tools are great, unfortunately, my mindset stays focused on the last few decades and current stuff, thus, leaving apprehension in it's wake.

Reply to
Meanie

Not with me you won't...

Me too. I replaced the motor on mine years ago and I also replaced my cast iron wings with wings I built myself out of cherry for the banding and MDF for the surface material. At the same time I installed a new fence system that gives me 24" on each side of the blade. I tore it down a year or two ago and replaced the arbor bearing as well as installing new pulleys and a link belt. I also installed a paddle switch located at my left knee cap so it is easy to shut off at the completion of a cut. I invested in a Woodworker II at the same time. It's a wonderful tool at this time. It was always a good saw, but it's just a thing of beauty now. Oh - i had also invested the time to align the blade to the miter slot several years ago.

No reason to look down on the cast iron saws - they are good saws that can be turned into great saws for little cost.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not sure why you're worrying about that. I've never had an issue with my motor hanging off the back. You have to remember, anything you cut is going to travel further than what the motor sticks out. There are no issues with the belts on this design as long as your belt is in good condition and your pulleys are as well. Mine is mounted on wheels and that poses absolutely no issues at all.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the info. What's your opinion on the Rigid brand?

Reply to
Meanie

On 6/18/2016 11:21 AM, Meanie wrote: :) ).

Yellow Pages: Motor rebuilding Cost of bearing + $20

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski