OT: What are your thoughts on this?

How about this one: I've never had a car accident so I shouldn't waste my time putting on a seatbelt.

Or I've never had a kickback so I shouldn't waste my time putting in a splitter.

Any of those do it for you?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I'm on third.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Ah, but there is an over-riding "right." You almost always have the right to waive a right. Think of the Miranda warning.

I know of only one "right" that a defendant cannot waive. In Texas, a suspect cannot waive a jury trial in a capital murder case, nor can he plead guilty. That is, if indicted by a grand jury, the person MUST appear in a trial where his guilt or innocence is determined by a jury.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't know about that.

Reply to
Just Wondering

As clearly stated above, that would be a classic "inalienable right".

That is arguably still an "inalienable right", by definition, that has modified by a power (government) that can alienate.

Reply to
Swingman

thats on second

Reply to
ChairMan

Obviously, while I learned to spell _before_ I took that PS course, too many years have intervened ... placing an "i", when it should have been a "u", is a non-starter.

I stand corrected ...

Reply to
Swingman

"ChairMan" wrote in news:kuQ3s.40752$0n7.12520 @fed04.iad:

No, what's on second.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, your mental abilities are now out for all to see and there isn't much to see.

There are many areas that are 80MPH and one that's 85MPH. So?

Reply to
krw

True, and expediency wins more often than not.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pretty much right. We went way overboard on our reactions to that incident. I would have happily flown the next day/week but other folks were scared to death to do so.

CAUTION: Evil Stereotyping Ahead!

Do you think a bunch of sloppy, GED-toting fools in an airport make it safer to fly when they catch Mom with her dangerous 1" sharp-pointed sewing scissors while others walk through with 8" sharpened pencils, sharpened credit cards, and Grandma comes through the safety check with her 12" knitting needles? Yeahright...

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

SO, there isn't a "national 55MPH speed limit as you falsely stated when you said, "I blame it on the national 55 MPH speed limit." There used to be one from about 1974 to 1987, but it was modified some 25 years ago and repealed about 17 years ago. SO, you blamed drivers' behavior on a law that doesn't exist.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Admittedly before 9-11, but I had an impatient look on my face as one of the security agents inspected my computer at Love Field in Dallas. A Dallas cop-ette stepped over and volunteered "You know we're doing this for your protection, don't you?"

"I don't believe that any more than I could flap my arms and fly," I replied.

"Then why do you think we go to all this trouble?" the cop-ette rejoined.

"To give these cretins a job."

"I'll have you know we intercept guns in purses two or three times a week from wives heading toward the gates to meet their husbands!"

"I didn't know that. You should be congratulated for preventing terrorism by throwing housewives to the floor and putting them in jail. Outstanding! You must be very proud."

She turned and struck out for her podium and returned to watching the throngs.

Reply to
HeyBub

Idiot. Drivers got worse after the national limit went into effect and ignored. It's been all downhill since.

Reply to
krw

Just Wondering wrote in news:5050e785$0$22322$882e7ee2 @usenet-news.net:

Correction: on a law that *no longer* exists -- and rightly so, IMHO. The adoption of that law

-- largely unenforced and largely unenforceable -- encouraged drivers to ignore not only that, but many other traffic laws as well.

Prior to its adoption, it was unusual to see drivers going more than 5-10% over the posted speed limit -- on interstates with a posted 70mph limit, for instance, most traffic was moving between 70 and 75, and speeds over 80 were rare. After the 55mph limit was adopted, IME traffic didn't slow down much in most states (Ohio, New York, and Utah being notable exceptions), and the norm became upper 60s to low 70s, that is, about 20-25% over the limit.

The 55mph limit has become "ancient history", but the habit it encouraged of driving 20+% over the limit persists to this day. It is no longer unusual to see drivers going 85 on interstate highways with a posted limit of 70 -- or 45-50 on city streets with a posted limit of 35.

It was also unusual, prior to the mid-1970s, to see the widespread disregard of stop signs, red lights, no-passing zones, school bus "STOP" arms, and reduced-speed zones around schools that I now observe nearly every day.

Unenforced and unenforceable laws encourage disrespect for all laws.

The national 55mph limit was a mistake for many reasons -- but that was the main one.

Reply to
Doug Miller

driving 20+%

going 85 on interstate

Proper speed limits would also help. I live in CT and work in MA. One road I drive every day has a 45 mph limit. If that road was in VA, it probably would be 50 mph, a fair speed to drive on it. VA seems to be more advanced in their thinking.

Many speed limits were deemed to be safe back in the 1930's when car had poor lighting, poor brakes, poor tires, bumpy road surfaces, etc. It may have made sense back then, but not now.

The lower the speed limit, the higher percentage drivers seem to travel over the posted limit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

adoption of that law

over the posted

traffic was moving

over the limit.

driving 20+%

going 85 on interstate

limit of 35.

of stop signs,

The 55mph was another wishful thinking law, like the current increases mpg that they are pushing now

The the Ford Model T's got about 18-20 mpg They had low ratio in the rear ends and three speed transmissions with 1:1 high gear (1 revolution of motor to 1 revolution of the rear wheels)

My 1952 Ford Flat-head-V8 with 3 speed standard transmission and 1:1 ratio in he high gear, got about 18-20 mpg. There were some automatics of this period that got lower gas mileage and some had 2 speed transmission. Also the 1952 Ford 4-door had the capacity of my Astro van and probably was heavier.

Current cars get about 35 miles, have four to five speed transmission, higher rear ends and the top gear in the transmission is some where between gear ratio of 1.3 to 1.4 ratio. They have become so small that some normal sized people can not get into them, and the have been stripped down to the minimal weight and still able to maintain their shape. The rear ends have higher ratios so the engine need 4 gears instead of three to get to the 1:1 ratio. The 18 -20 mpg times the highest gear ratio in current cars of 1.35 plus the high rear ends equals the 35 mpg that current cars get.

Where have we improved?

To met the new standards, the transmission automakers are modifying their transmission plants to produce 6 to 8 gear transmissions. So with the new standards will we have 5 gears to get 1:1 ratio and several more gears so the final ratio is near 2.0 to get the 54 mpg?

Gasoline has a limited amount of energy per given weight of gasoline. In

100 years we have not improved the basic engine efficiency. We have spent Billions of dollars and found the best technology was fossil fuel electric engine developed for trains and submarines over 120 years ago.

How many more Billions of dollars will be spent to learn that we can not improve the automotive technology without going to small nuclear reactors.

The current environmentalist have no knowledge of basic physical limits in carbon chemistry and the electrical and solar properties of matter, so come up with the unrealistic ideas.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

driving 20+%

going 85 on interstate

limit of 35.

Virginia is a poor state to hold up as progressive in the traffic laws and speed limits. One of the best states for speed limits is Kentucky. They have a 70 mph limit on their interstates, and one speed limits for all types of vehicles.

Indiana has one of the worst. While they have 70mph on their interstates, trucks have a slower limit that cars. So it is a constant jockeying as you back up behind the slow trucks, maneuver to pass them and the repositioning of the cars in front of the truck.

In contrast Kentucky with one speed limit is easy driving as there is minimal back up caused by the slower vehicles.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

driving 20+%

going 85 on interstate

limit of 35.

Most of the South is 70MPH for both trucks and cars (and they give an easy

80MPH). I did see a few spots in Kentucky and one in Tennesee, over the weekend, that were 65MPH, though. Surprising since these were outside of congested spots where a slow-down might be expected.

As mentioned elsewhere here, Texas is 80MPH, with the new toll road speed limit set at 85MPH, AIUI. Makes sense.

Reply to
krw

driving 20+%

going 85 on interstate

limit of 35.

When the national speed limit was droopped to 55, drivers lost every single bit of their edge in driving. Everything went soft and was lost. Defensive and aggressive driving went out the window and everyone turned into a little old lady. Even in parking lots.

I got backed into once again in the parking lot yesterday. I looked both ways and was swiveling twice a second when the lady right next to me on my right backed right into me. Luckily, most of the rubber from her once-white bumper ended up on my tire and rim. But a 4" crease was made in the lower right bedside behind the tire. I looked at it and said "Awfuggit." then let her go. I can probably lose most of it with a torch and can of compressed air.

This was the second time this year some idiot backed into me without looking, both at less than 10mph. Barkin' maroons.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques