Saab (OT)

Just sitting in a pub watching the cars going past - and was amazed how many Saabs are still around (many convertables)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They are a car which tend to have a loyal following. They are basically sound cars, which is interesting when you consider several key elements tend to come from cars which are not always known for their longevity. Whether Saab had extra quality or other refinements on these bits before using/fitting them I don?t know.

We looked at buying a Saab back in about 2001/2. However, I didn?t like the attitude of the dealer. I had a good idea what I wanted, including colour etc. It was more a case of Senior Management having a look - although she was essentially happy with what she?d seen, it was really just a final close look.

Anyway, he lost the sale. The next day, we went somewhere else, looked at another make entirely, and did the deal. Next car was the same make.

I had a similar experience with Volvo back in about 1988. Again, we were ready to buy but the dealer lost the sale. We drove a mile to another garage and ordered another make.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Some dealers put you off. I knew the car I wanted, went to local dealer who had one on show - "That's the top of the range model - you won't want that", Actually I did - but bought it from another dealer.

Reply to
charles

When Saab really were Saab they appealed to a lot of techie types (as Brian implies).

In the 2 stroke days the would-be rally drivers loved them. Later, the first turbo was favoured by engineers. A bit like Citroen, but with different ideosyncracies.

Reply to
newshound

Shame the old Saabs were so painfully ugly.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I guess some fools have to buy brand new, otherwise there wouldn't be 3 year old cars to buy at a fraction of the new price.

Reply to
Fredxx

and that is a stupid plave for the ignition switch ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I like how when GM bought then over they were told to use the cavalier and not change it much...they changed everything ...tee hee.......probably why they went down the drain .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Contract hire mate.

If you are a fellet manager, the hire is completely tax deductible, and if you are private is a no hassle way of appearinmg to be affleunt on te never never.

In both cases what to do with the old car is not your problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

place

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Hmm, I think many of them were ex fleet cars in the day. I'm very surprised nobody has taken on the brand. It was well respected. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yawn.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Not at all.

One of our cars has the ignition switch there and it is fine. Seems quite natural after a very short while. No more strange than another of our cars not having a key, just a button- it senses the fob is in you pocket, bag etc.

(Cue scare stories.....)

Reply to
Brian Reay

very true I bought a frowned upon three year old dacia duster for 50% of the new price and that was three years ago still running fine.....It is the mechanical inept that buy new cars.....my last new car was 1986 hated all the warranty crap and having to get an approved service etc......mugs game ....some people like brian reay use cars as a status symbol in the game of one up-man-ship ...not me....don't care if reay calls my cars old bangers...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

my pleasure.... moving the ignition key switch away from the column lock is just an unnecessary complication....but then again I loved my '63 mini with the ign switch on the dash and a push button start on the floor was ideal .... and the key fob crap is just asking for your car to be stolen ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Only if you don?t know why it?s there. Otherwise you?d realise it?s not so stupid.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

easiest thing in the world is to buy a new car.... I could buy one tomorrow but I choose not to do so due to the hassle it gives you .......the most I ever paid for a car up to last year was five grand then I bought a newish mustang which is losing money hand over fist....I made money on my last three mustangs which were all over twenty years old ....and don't get me started on those PCP car deals ..

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

OK educate me........but It looks like they cause nothing but trouble .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

think they are positioned so to make you think you are in a saab aeroplane .....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

must be why reay likes that position .... makes up for him never getting that private pilots licence .....tee hee...in fact their are lots of licenses he never got .......tee hee...class B M3 that he is. .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...