Design Feedback Please

The drawer pulls are not in the CAD. Feedback and criticism welcomed:

brian

Looks good but I think I would consider letting the center front stile extend and support the middle of the top and have a cut out in the center of the back panel for cables to go through.

FWIW I did a miniature version sorta, many moons ago for a customer. Small table to fit between two chairs to set TV controllers on with a drawer to hold a pistol.

Walnut and wenge

Leon

The wife already told me that she doesn't want a back panel. One less piece of ply to buy :) This stand is for our kids TV which will house Playstation/Wii etc. The fully open back will make it much easier to connect everything.

Thanks for taking a peek Leon!

Reply to
brian

IMHO I think it would look better if the drawer sides went all the way to the back and hid the end grain of the drawer back. Otherwise it looks good to me. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Inspriational piece is awesome.

Reply to
woodchucker

The drawer pulls are not in the CAD. Feedback and criticism welcomed:

Very interesting design. May use this idea someday. thanks. WW

Reply to
WW

Yes! I saw that piece in a shop in Northern Virginia and had to snap a few photos.

Reply to
brian

Considering the weight of today's big TV's - sheets of glass ... and sheets of semiconductor.

I'd beef up the legs. Looks like 2x2 - how about 3x3 ?

Mart> The drawer pulls are not in the CAD. Feedback and criticism welcomed: >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks for all the input!

I made a few modifications:

brian

You're kidding right? My 55" LED tv is less than 80lbs. My old tube TV was 250lbs.

2x2 is way overkill.
Reply to
woodchucker

Agreed. If those skinny little high heals will hold a broad up while walking... Sorry that was sexist. I meant, "chick."

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think I agree with Artemus about the exposure of the drawer fronts and backs, I would hide them. Perhaps you have not yet addressed that detail yet. And again you have a pretty long span, almost 5' I just built a new 8' long desk with a 60" span between drawer units. I used 7 on edge pieces of plywood 3" wide and one solid oak on edge to support the top span. What i have on the desk over the span would not weigh as much as an average LCD TV. Nixing the center stile adding support you might want to consider more rails under the top to add support.

Otherwise looks good.

Reply to
Leon

I think he might be suggesting biggerfor appearance vs strength, properly supported 3/4" square legs could hold up a thousand pounds. At least that is what they use under water beds.

Actually if you round over corners on legs they will look larger.

Reply to
Leon

Geez MIKE have you never seen one of those heel spikes break???? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Yes, and almost without exception, it is hilarious.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:20:21 -0600, -MIKE-

It's even funnier when you see them trying to walk with one spike broken, then finally curse, give up, remove the other shoe and walk barefoot.

Reply to
Dave

I agree 100% They will be hidden.

I made the TV stand linked below which has a 48" long (unsupported span) top and

22" deep. It's been doing fine for almost five years (damn time flies). My latest design has the top at 47.5" of unsupported span. Should be ok.

brian

And damn, is it not sexy when they remove those things? (:-O

Reply to
-MIKE-

and 22" deep. It's been doing fine for almost five years (damn time flies). My latest design has the top at 47.5" of unsupported span. Should be ok.

Ok. cool. Better to be aware, which you are, than not.

Reply to
Leon

No kidding, they should continue to walk on their tip toes. ;~)

Reply to
Leon