OT: What are your thoughts on this?

GarageWoodworks

nothing will be done about something like that until someone gets killed. Often, it takes multiple deaths.

Reply to
CW

Just more evidence of systemic scofflaw behavior in a decaying culture.

Reply to
Swingman

My brother runs a school bus company and is president of his local state owners association. I suspect if I ran this across him, he'd fire the driver and then speak the police to try and figure out a solution that is safe for the kids.

The owner is subjecting himself to a LOT of liability. If you have a kid on that bus, I'd raise holy hell with the owner, even if it is the YMCA. I suspect they contract it out.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

A) My first thought is why is it posted on r.w?

B) My second thought is looks like a wide-enough street to me to accept the "go-'round"...

Reply to
dpb

It's a 0.2 mile "go around" with a blind hill. Unacceptable.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

What is r.w.?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Just a guess; rec.woodworking?

Reply to
krw

Yes. It hit me after I hit 'Send'.

I did preface the thread with OT (still stands for off topic right?)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Except for the little things, like the double, solid yellow line being a clear "Do Not Pass" in any traffic engineer's handbook in every state and state traffic statute.

Granted, in a society that ignores unethical behavior at every opportunity, breaking a law that is inconvenient, despite the fact that it is a rational, logical, and clear extension of a need for public safety, is no longer of much import ... from rolling stops, to political machinations, a society of scofflaws eventually breaks down.

Reply to
Swingman

I wish I could write ad eloquently as you Swing! Well said.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

give them a link to your pictures.

If the cops won't I suspect the Y will.

Then if that doesn't stop it, send a link to the television studio new dept. They love this stuff.

And if they don't keep those pics. You will be the guy that alerted everyone and no one did a damn thing. Reminds you of 9-11 which is tomorrow folks.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Did this on day one. No result. i sent them a link to my web post today.

I contacted a reporter of a local rag. No reply.

I contacted the school district heads and they got their buses to stop doing it. The YMCA is by far the largest violator.

I also contact the NC Dept of Public Safety. They said : "It's out of our jurisdiction." They told me to climb the chain of command at the local PD level. I started this today.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

In Vermont a solid (or double) yellow line is only a suggestion that you might not want to pass; a "be careful" hint. Unless there is a white and black sign saying "Do Not Pass" (rare), it's perfectly legal to do so.

I blame it on the national 55MPH speed limit.

Reply to
krw

Let me ask you a question. And please, feel absolutely free to shoot me down for asking it.

The US has arguably, given its citizens the most freedoms and liberties of any country in history. What you're commenting on above suggests to me there's so many freedoms and liberties given that many people take additional liberties whenever and wherever because they think they deserve them.

Seems to be there's a conflict between people understanding the rights they deserve and the rights they think they're eligible to take.

See Daneliuk. I can inflame shit just like you.

Reply to
Dave

Let me ask you a question. And please, feel absolutely free to shoot me down for asking it.

The US has arguably, given its citizens the most freedoms and liberties of any country in history. What you're commenting on above suggests to me there's so many freedoms and liberties given that many people take additional liberties whenever and wherever because they think they deserve them.

Seems to be there's a conflict between people understanding the rights they deserve and the rights they think they're eligible to take. ========================================================================== It's the result of having so many laws that you can't live without being in violation of something. It has made people not care.

Reply to
CW

Just sent YMCA CEO (Neil J. Nicoll) a link to my website. Let's see if he responds.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

We have a main drag in the middle of which are two turning lanes, one for each direction. There is a clear, solid, double yellow line separating the two. It is very common to see cars waiting to turn left, on the wrong side of the double yellow line. They are essentially driving on the wrong side of the road.

The other common idiotic occurrence is drivers who will turn onto the road from a driveway or side street and pull into the turning lane and just stop and wait for traffic to clear up so they can pull into the lane. We were taught that you could pull into the turning lane while continuing to accelerate and merge into traffic when there was room. I don't know when it because acceptable to simply park in the middle of the street.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 9/10/2012 6:42 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote: ...

So, go some other way 'round...it's _still_ not w-working :)

--

Reply to
dpb

And the application of a little common-sense that going by a standing-line of traffic parked in the street when there's sufficient clearance to make it easily doable is, at least where I'm from, common sense when the letter of the rule results in impasse.

Sounds like the NC cops realize the reality as well...

--

Reply to
dpb