Platform tower - thoughts on this?

It looks like I've got a guttering job to do, and probably more in future, so I may need semi-regular access to a scaffold tower or similar access platform. Doing a search brought up this :

This seems to be rather cheaper than I was expecting, so any thoughts on it, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The cheap aluminium ones bend when you set on the cross pieces and lock together. Difficult job to take them apart. But provided you don't mind a bit of work they are good value for infrequent use.

Reply to
EricP

I had a similar one (from Machine Mart) and eventually sold it to buy a professional tower.

They're fine for light decorating work, when erected at lower heights or indoors. The 7m tower they show outside would be pushing it.

You have to decide on whether you have a wind-sheltered location and firm flat footings for the tower, the height you will need, how much weight you'll put on it - and the degree of instability and flimsiness you're willing to put up with.

The upside is that a shorter tower is very easy to move fully assembled.

Hiring professional towers when you need them is relatively inexpensive, if you have access to a suitable vehicle to transport them.

Reply to
dom

I've got an even cheaper one, it's made of thin tube steel and it just drops together. It really is only good for occasional use but has served me well, when I use it at max height I tend to tie it to the digger bucket or 10 ton dump trailer to stop its slight tendency to wobble. Hiring is OK, but by the time you've made the phone calls, done the travelling (twice) and done the paperwork/paying you could likely be already 1/2 way through the job!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

=================================== I think you should compare the maximum platform height (2.73m / 9') and the maximum working height (4.7m / 15' 9") to see if it's adequate for the kind of work you're planning. These figures suggest that you would need to be working constantly at or above head height which is neither comfortable nor safe.

If you shop around you can buy much cheaper mild steel towers with better specifications. Don't be put off by the idea that steel is heavy / aluminium is light. My DIY steel towers are both strong and light.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If house walls had eyehooks installed into the upper storey, perhaps into scaffolding holes, then ladders and towers could be secured to them. PJ

Reply to
PJ

Oddly enough my home outside the UK has eyehooks spaced at every metre around the upper storey. I've often wondered why the British don't do the same thing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And so useful for illuminated christmas decorations ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And afterwards I could use the hooks to pluck my eyes from their sockets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

probably used in the war for stringing up the resistance....

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

The message from Owain contains these words:

My house has some substantial brackets holding up the wooden guttering. Very useful for restraining the top of my ladder but so far at least have not used for Crimble.

Reply to
Roger