'elf & safety - TV tower style

Scariest thing I've ever seen - watch in fullscreen or full effect

Mike Harrison

Andy Burns

first image is ... interesting.

(I'd supply a URL to it, but Google seem to have f*cked up image search. "Do no evil", my arse.)

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
Peter Crosland

effect

you've gone up a few hundred feet you get used to it. At least the tower is reasonably safe to climb and things are not falling down on you. I've done plenty of abseiling where rocks are likely to fall on you. I've also abseiled down a couple of waterfalls which is quite fun.

Reply to
Matty F

But I think this:

is on a par with it.

Reply to
Vortex7

Jesus wept, I dunno whether that demonstrates guts or stupidity.

Reply to
brass monkey

effect

> Once you've gone up a few hundred feet you get used to it. At least

Try canyonning - lots of fun.

Reply to
Clive George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Harrison saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

but this one works ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. At least the aerial cowboys do it because somebody pays them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The story on this place:

dom

I would not do either, even if the pay was very generous.

Reply to
Vortex7

The first image leads to a broken link but the second one is

this what you mean't

Reply to
Terry Casey

It is quite genuine, I have seen a similar video before of the same mast and I recall there is another very close to it. There was a very similar climbing pattern & equally miserable safety system shown on television not so long ago, the task was to climb and document *at night* the electrical junctions and arrays on the Empire State Building.

The bottom part was "acceptable" ladder climbing. What terrified was where the ladder ran out... and he was left to climb "spike steps"... past a lightning tree to snag you... then test around the grey beams for a handhold to pull up past a triangular I- beam platform... then up little more than a pole to stand on the very top "iphone-sized" shelf on the very top of the pole re light.

You need incredible confidence that nothing has rusted, is properly secured, to me knowing other people's workmanship it seems little more than russian roulette. Unbelievable confidence and balance required... no middle ear infection need apply.

Worse is getting down... because you have to look for and find every step.

Reply to
js.b1

Me too. I need a stiff drink.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think the bit of video, which I had somewhere, has Tom Silliman ( what a name) doing a repair up there at night the only time they'd let him do that job!.

Still here he is here in daylight attending to An Alan Dick spearhead type wideband mixed polarisation VHF/FM array!....

tony sayer

Dave

Reply to
Dave