.. spin on a new old safety razor ?

A local company is selling a new precision safety razor - - a pivot from their aerospace work -

The few reviews that mention a complaint - seem to relate to its light-weight ; and I can imagine wanting a bigger handle as well .. not having tried it .. yet ..

Here's the business plan for the keen wood-turners here - turn custom handles ! .. if someone just paid $ 100. for a razor maybe they'd pay for a custom handle ? :-) After 50 years of happily using a Trak II - why am I considering an expensive safety razor, again ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

I grew a full beard to end the debate.

Reply to
Markem618

I like the concept, but I wasn't pleased with the way the last double sided safety razor that I owned worked. I have a straight razor, and it did take some getting used to. As in, I butchered myself the first few times for sure. Once I got a hang of it, I much prefer it; been using it for a couple of years now.

Reply to
Michael Trew

It's $70 not $100. ;~)

I like the Tiranium one. $250

At least the replacement blades are inexpensive, in lots of 100.

Reply to
Leon

The $ 322.00 titanium models are all sold out in all 3 colours ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Where are you seeing $100 and $322?

Oh wait! You said, colours. You must be looking at Canadan prices. :~)

Reply to
Leon

... Bingough ! :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I can't see US $70 for three pieces of anodized aluminum extrusion.

Double-edge razor bodies made of nickel-plated brass cost about $20.

One cannot tell from the description, but if the screw holding it all together is aluminum on aluminum, the assembly will soon gall and fail. Titanium may have the same issue.

And every time I've tried a double-edge razor, it gave me a bad razor rash. They claim to have solved this, but don't really explain how. (Multi blade razors like Quattro don't cause a rash.)

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

That should be enough for a century.

The guy is so cheap his shoes squeak. ...yet drives a Tesla-S.

Reply to
krw

I've seen a couple different vintage sharpeners for safety razor blades.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

No sharpening is needed, not that I care much. I haven't shaved since September 1993.

Reply to
krw

Yes, since they are made about 30km from John's place (and about 10 from mine) here in Canada.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I remember seeing my grandfather sharpening his Gillette Blue Blades on the inside of a damp glass - with the blade held vertically so just the cutting edges touched the glass and got honed a bit. Did it really work? I guess it did - or he thought it did - because I saw him do it multiple times. Maybe we were just poor?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Wow!!

Today's price $647. Eat your heart out Tormek!

Reply to
Leon

Interesting observation. Maybe we were just poor, or extremely intelligent. Rich people today could not poor piss out of a boot with out an assistant.

Reply to
Leon

I would expect rich people to be smart enough not to piss in their boots.

What do you consider rich?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They'd piss in your boot and deduct it as a Charitable Donation. John T.

Reply to
hubops

One would expect! My boss 25 years ago, owner of the company I was a GM for, was a few months younger than me. AND a college graduate I might add.

It took me a while and IIRC some picture drawing to illustrate that if you add 10% to a number and then take 10% away from that result that you do not end up with the same beginning value. Percentages was not his strong suite, among many others. But he sold the business a couple of years after I left the company and was worth millions, as money. Property assets were gravy.

A net worth of at least a couple million dollars. And at least half of that being liquid.

Reply to
Leon

Generalizing from a single example is fraught. The distribution of intelligence (and pretty much everything else) falls along a bell curve.

A millionaire in 1960 would need ten million dollars today to have the same net worth.

A net worth of ten million puts one in the soi distant 1%.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I can give you many examples but this is the one that a middle school student should have gotten. Or when he could not determine what to charge a customer for a battery adjustment replacement. THE WARRANTY TAG ON THE BATTERY SAID HOW MUCH TO CHARGE. It was literally a daily thing of confusion.

Actually a millionaire in 1960 would need ten million to have the same buying power. Net worth is the addition of assets, not buying power.

Well you asked what "I" considered rich. Ten years from now my answer will likely change as does you example from 60 years ago.

Reply to
Leon