!00 year old Red oak

So this week have had a tree cut down, it was 48 inches in diameter 4 foot off the ground. None of it is worth saving, it has carpenter ants, was hit by lightning in the past. Was really close to the house and had been dropping limbs. Really wish it had been good wood, but our sunroom will now get sun.

Reply to
Markem618

That's a shame. We will be doing the same. We will be adding 450 sq feet to our patio and adding a 12 x 24 covered pergola. Our 6 year old 3" diameter pear tree, that never produced a pear that was tolerable, is coming down. Squirrels loved the pears.

Reply to
Leon

That is sad that it had to be torn down. I have a likely 100+ year old maple in my front yard, but it's hollow. You can see it with every branch cut off. It seems stable, for now, but I'm afraid it's going to fall on someone's roof some day (mine or my neighbors). Alternatively, it could cross the street and wipe out the 24 hour laundromat (but that wouldn't be so bad -- why do people need to be loud doing laundry at

3AM??) I don't want to get it cut down, but I am getting there soon.
Reply to
Michael Trew

The old oak sounds like the one that stood in front of the farmhouse where my mother grew up. That tree was closer to 72 inches in diameter last I saw it - and was more than 48inches when Grand-dad bought the farm back in 1929. Mom remembers it being struck by ligtning several times as the farmstead was on the top of a rise and the tree was by far the tallest object for miles. Estimates when the farm was sold in '63 was the tree was over 350 years old and had been a full grown tree when the farmstead was established.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Be happy. Last year a hurrican went through here and damaged one of my pine trees. Before they had the power back on the town was after me to have it removed on pain of a $200/day fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wow - that's a big oak ! Did it make the Waterloo County Big Tree survey ? We had a giant weeping willow that was # 1 <weeping willow >

back in the ~ late 80's iirc. The last big limb off the main trunk finally came down a few years ago. In the late 90's a limb came down that was well over 3 feet diameter .. They used a formula to rate them - girth (x) feet up & height. A quick google search turned up this link for the 2011 tree hunt :

I believe that it was a cottonwood that was overall champ < like the 2011 hunt > back when our willow was on the list. John T.

Reply to
hubops

The farm is just down river from the Conestoga dam on the left side of the river at the end of the side-road that would lead to Glen Allen if it crossed the river

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Sounds like a place to NOT be living...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Sounds reasonable to me, if it fell or could soon fall on the public right of way.

Reply to
krw

Yep. Anywhere but here beckons.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I can't blame you, yikes.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Well California, Lake Tahoe, or Greenville, does not seem better. Fires in California destroyed over 10,000 buildings in 2020.

How many buildings were destroyed in the California fires 2020?

2020 California wildfires Total area 4,397,809 acres (1,779,730 ha) Cost >$12.079 billion (2020 USD) (Third-costliest on record) Date(s) Febuary 15?December 31, 2020 Buildings destroyed 10,488 (CAL FIRE) 9,211 (NIFC Year-to-Date report)
Reply to
Leon

There are 14+ million houses in california, not counting commercial buildings or outbuildings (sheds, barns, etc).

Note that a significant fraction of those 10,000 structures were barns, sheds, vacation homes and a couple of wineries.

The big fires affect mainly lightly populated remote areas of the state, and for all that they sound big (> 100 square miles), consider that

100 square miles is only a 10 mile by 10 mile square. California has 163,696 square miles of area.

Lake Tahoe is smokey, but the winds have died down and they've kept the fire (south of South Lake) from the tahoe communities so far and barring an unexpected change in the weather, it's likely that it will not approach closer to south lake (but it may burn further east into Nevada (desolate and unpopulated territory for the most part)).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You have me sold. Now, if you reduce taxes by, oh, 100% and get rid of the needles and feces on the street...

Reply to
krw

Actually, we don't want _you_ here. Stay where you are if the myths bother you.

(Hint to everyone else, KRW is still full of shit and knows nothing about California).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

WE? It's nice that you think you're God, like every other communist.

Of course you lie, like all communists. It's in the genes.

Reply to
krw

Sounds Like Florida. They raise revenue in a lot of towns there by aggressive fines.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

All he needs to know about California is who they elected as governor, who they elected to the congress and senate. Of course, there is an excellent chance these crooked fools were not actually elected, but installed via massive voter fraud.

Also, their success can be summed up by the fact so many people moved out of California that they lost a congressional seat. This despite huge numbers of alien invaders entering the state, and ignoring the crooks in charge surely knew this would happen and would have done everything the could to cook the books on the census to prevent it from happening.

Reply to
Jack

Kevin, like the proverbial blind squirrel occasionally gets the nut.

Scott on the other hand, doesn't.

Reply to
Jack