Applying Shellac

Ok, i got a dousing of BLO applied and wiped down on a red oak floor. Now i need to know what is the best way (that is not spraying) to apply the wax free shellac sealer. I'm gonna start on this Thursday, and I am looking for ideas. I'm thinking a 2" brush like i did my stair treads with is probably not the best solution.

thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Same way you do poly on a floor. Lambs wool pad, it works well. Just not as heavy and application as poly. don't brush over it after 1 minute. up until then its probably wet enough.

You want a wide pad, I did mine years ago. I can't remember how wide the pad was, at least 12" if I remember. Got the pad at HD.

Reply to
tiredofspam

------------------------------ I like 1/2 pound cut, especially in hot weather, and a throw away chip brush.

Takes a couple of extra coats, but the brush doesn't "stick".

For a floor, I'd use a 3"-4" brush.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

thanks for the reply. I was a wonderin' if those would be alright. I've used them on waterborne poly.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Shellac and BLO will only last a couple weeks (OK, slight exaggeration, but it's not very tough, Steve) but I'd mask around it and spray it on with an HVLP gun. It's the easiest way to avoid the edge problems.

Or are you using the shellac to seal the BLO and then lacquer it? Floors are the only place I'd even consider applying polyurinestain.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques