OT: Need a check on my site

I've just started (and I mean "just") offering a short photo book on my site,

If anyone has time, I'd appreciate a look at the "Products" page, and a check to see if the link works. Then post here to let me know, or email me through the site.

I'm not asking you to buy anything, and there's no woodworking content up yet, though a couple small items are ready (just that at the moment getting anything on-line and working is a 12 hour per item PITA).

Reply to
Charlie Self

it worked but no shoping cart? when I click to buy now it goes to e-mail. is that correct?

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I clicked on products and went to a page that showed the book. I clicked on buy now and went to an order page. Everything worked for me.

Did you make changes or do I have a magic touch?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

All the buttons worked for me.

Reply to
Leon

Couple of comments.

As the other poster said - "buying" simply opens an email, with not even a subject. This is rather confusing. Shopping carts - much better idea.

Would you be willing to resize the home page so it doesn't require scroll bars (vert and horiz)? (I'm using 1280x1024 resolution.)

"Index" might be relabeled "Home".

You've got scroll bars showing up some pages in the middle of the content: CharlieSelf & Hardwood, that, while they do seem to serve a purpose, are so small relative to info w/in, they are confusing.

Since it's still a work in progress, I'll stop there, exceptin' to say

- pretty good for a first take!!

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I'lll be dipped if I know. Payloadz is the spot where the book rises for purchase and download, but so far, it has been a bigger pain in the ass than using Yahoo for my web site. I spent something like a dozen hours yesterday getting the page up, all the basic in Payloadz, I thought, taken care of, only to have them tell me, time after time, that the product page URL did not exist. Their Express set up what you see.

I'll have to check, maybe see if I can get my wife to go through her computer and carry the process through. If that doesn't work, take it down, dump Payloadz and rethink the set up.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yahoo consistently tells me that an Index page is essential. I've tried renaming it, but with their set up, renaming that one page just doesn't work. Weird.

I thought I had that thing set up pretty cleanly, but it's hard to tell on my monitor--Dell 2408WFP. I've got a lot of screen left on the right, some on the bottom, but I'm running--whassit? Native rez is

1920 x 1200, I think. I'll see what's possible in the next few weeks.
Reply to
Charlie Self

I can't get the scroll bars to move around on this monitor, and they were OK on my old monitor, a 19" Viewsonic CRT, sam rez you're using.

I guess first I need to check and see if I can change Index to Home or some such, then check to see what's needed to add a shopping cart. God, these "all in one" solutions are usuall "all in none" and it's possible Payloadz is that way. I'd had good reports, but no experience.

I think as a starter, I'll go back and try to do this whole thing through the longer Payloadz set up. If that works, we'll see, but if not, time to find another autodownloader/money collector.

Thanks, people!

Reply to
Charlie Self

Every thing works , gonna be a nice site, I am trying to do the same thing, more to show case my Woodworking , then anything else, please have a look, any feed back would be great. thanks Ken

Reply to
Ken

No link was apparent on the products page when I visited.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Frank,

I just made some changes--jeez, the terminology would give a bat cramps--and it should have a Buy Now button. I hope.

I'll get a couple of woodworking articles up soon, and at least one freebie. Gotta draw those massive crowds with giveaways.

Reply to
Charlie Self

What resolution are you setting these photos to when you post them? My monitor isn't a fair test, as it is large enough to show all faults, but if you're doing the old standard of 72 PPI, you will show better results at the same size by posting them at 96 or 100 PPI.

When you look in your program for working with the photos, it should have a Resize Images command somewhere. When you open that, you'll get a box showing pixels per inch, as well as overall size in inches. Make changes in each unit as needed.

Your photos are good, but because of sizing, come up grainy looking (called noise today), without sharp edges.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie... My guess is that the suggestion was to rename the Button from Index to Home.. The actual link would stay the same..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

ok this time it seems to have worked. I did not wait for the payzoids page to open but the URL was in the new browser window so I assume you might have that problem fixed. good luck with it charlie!

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Enter your URL and this will check the code for mistakes to allow page to be compliant with all browsers.

RLM

Shitload of errors, but I have no idea what they are or where they are.

Reply to
Charlie Self

comments sent through the "mailto:" link on the page. "Products" link seems functional.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

From what I can find out, the changes seem to have worked. Whew! As with most things computorized, the start is a PITA, at least for me.

I did get one woodworking related article up, too.

Reply to
Charlie Self