OT / ICYMI - There's a Tesla orbiting Earth

Elon Musk is a f***ing ROCKSTAR!!

Starman Live Stream

Today's amazing launch:

Spalted Walt

I had a chance to watch it live. As cool as the launch was, watching the 2 outer boosters fly home and then land within seconds of each other was even cooler.

Too bad the core booster didn't make it. I wonder whose idea it was to use a drone ship. I'll bet it was the people they original assigned to take the ship out there. "Say what? You want us to sit in a boat while some huge rocket tries to land butt first on the deck? Uh...no thanks. I'll pass." ;-)

I heard that it came in at 300 MPH and took out 2 of the ship's engines. That would have shaken up even the most seasoned sailor.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They tested landing on barges long before they tried to return to the launch site.

The barge is, of course, unmanned during a landing attempt.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Whoosh!

Things do go right over your head, don't they? Quasi-pun intended. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The last Starman selfie, in route to Mars..

"Printed on the circuit board of a car in deep space"

-God speed, Starman

Reply to
Spalted Walt

It took 60 years to go from Telstar to Tesla.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

It will crash into Mars and the Martians will see that as an act of war.

Reply to
Leon

Nah the burn was to long so it will be an addition to the asteroid belt.

Glad Star man is a dummy, the suit however is a real space suit, a NASA test for certification.

Reply to
Markem

In reality, the car is in an eliptical orbit around the sun where the long axis reaches from just inside the earth orbit to the asteriod belt. It only visits the belt ever few years.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Partway through the launch, I realized I was watching three robots help a fourth steal a car and escape with it...

Reply to
DJ Delorie