Pigs in Blankets

For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets', they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in colour?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

not as dark as soylent green

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Horse?

Reply to
ARW

Probably still loosly termed pork, maybe a cut closer to its a-hole?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I used to really like pigs in blankets. I now find sausage that accompanies the bacon to be so bland I tend to avoid them.

It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost immediate response.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You mean the pig? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote in news:rvc8hl$td5$1 @dont-email.me:

I've always made my own, long chipolatas of known quality twisted in the middle and snipped to make short then each wrapped in a half rasher of smoked streaky stretched thin with the back of a cook's knife.

Freeze either raw or cooked, my choice grill on skewers then freeze.

The trouble with ready made PiBs is that they'll make them to a price, use the crappest sausage they can get away with then charge a premium for the manual labour.

My experience of beef sausages is that they are more red but that's more likely colouring than anything else.

Reply to
Peter Burke

... that's new to me, can you explain?

Reply to
nothanks

Obviously must be cold due to non-payment of the gas bill for pigs to be in blankets.....

Other than in an "emergency", I can't imagine buying ready-made Ps-in-Bs.

I have sometimes using a rolling pin to thin the streaky bacon.

For speed and simplicity, you can get away with rolling a whole chipolata in a rasher. Then cutting into two or three. If packed reasonably tightly they will stay together.

I also now use a baking paper to line the tin. Means you don't lose so much browned matter stuck to the tin.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I like a really good sausage. Unfortunately the things in Pigs in Blankets are always very mediocre

Reply to
JohnP

Yup, I do sometimes feel I have to praise the mother of the animal that I have just scoffed....

Time to go to YouTube, and lookup chicken processing factory video pork processing factory video beef processing factory video lamb processing factory video

and thank the machines.

Just have your breakfast finished with first ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Ok, the streaky is normally too thick to roll nicely so needs thinned.

Packs normally are rasher pairs side by side, separate the two and then cut a single rasher to half length.

On a chopping board hold the half single at one end and with the back of a decent sized cooks knife run it along the length of the rasher with the sharp part of blade angled slightly forward in the direction of travel. The rasher will end up longer and thinner.

Judge the required pressure by the result, no result = too little, disintegration = too much. If in doubt, use several strokes<?> to get the desired result.

Some will still become a bit bitty but it's rare to get a total fail that can't be used as a wrap.

I find the thinned/lengthened half rashers to be a good balance in size & length for a thin chipolata (been doing the family ones for quite a while now) and I usually keep some back in the freezer for roast chicken.

On the sossies, good quality chipolatas are permanent stock items in Lidl/Aldi so I get mine there. Full length so they need a couple of twists and a snip in the middle to separate.

Reply to
Peter Burke

Thanks, I'll try it

Reply to
nothanks

polygonum_on_google snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Try the pinch, twist & snip then you'll never have an open end.

Stopped using the oven and tray a while back, grilled on skewers is my thing now, cooks more quickly, all done in advance then warmed thro on the day.

Skewers are the dual pronged ones that either Lidl or Adli do every now and again, perfect for cooking stuff that needs to be turned but might spin on a single skewer.

Reply to
Peter Burke

I noticed this Christmas just gone that supermarkets were selling "Pigs in Duvets" - little sausages wrapped in puff pastry. Yummy. Next year my wife will probably make them from scratch, having got the idea, in the same way that she makes her own pigs in blankets from thin chipolatas cut into 1" lengths, wrapped in rashers of thinly-sliced bacon *with slices of date inside*. The dates add a lovely flavour.

Reply to
NY

You need a butcher like ours - which, happily, is only 200 yds away. They offer pigs in blankets, kebabs, stuffed turkey breasts, chicken kievs, all sorts of burgers, sausages and other items and regularly win awards for their sausages.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Isn't that just a Sausage Roll?

Reply to
Chris Green

Or just something like this:

(One of the videos people have watched and have said is what made them 'realise' and then gone vegan).

And this is how you treat the machines when they are worn out ...

I was talking to a good mate the other day and suggested he had a look at some of the videos that show what goes on behind the scenes in the whole 'live stock' world and he said he didn't want to because it would upset him too much ... but wouldn't be able to stop eating meat / eggs or dairy etc (but he has cut back on meat and does to a vegan restaurant sometimes etc).

I wonder what the difference is between people who, when reminded / highlighted all the suffering (pollution / resources etc etc) actually change their lifestyle and those who don't?

Is it that they (the latter) might have to actually get to 'know' some of the creatures so see just how similar to them they were in their emotions, the wants and needs and how they deserve the right to live out their lives ... at least 'naturally' (whatever that works out to be).

And that brings me back to my thought of having a 'meat eaters licence', you have to personally observe the whole process when it comes to the end [1] (for a chicken, cow, sheep, pig etc), before you can buy some from the supermarket. The only point of that is to make people aware of the consequences of their choices, like you would if it was 'Fairtrade' or anything where people or animals might be exploited (or not). If you demonstrate you are able to watch that and still want to be part of that then so be it.

Cheers, T i m

[1] And it's not just how the trillions of animals die each year that is the only problem, it's also how they live in many cases.
Reply to
T i m