HF Dual-Bevel 12" Sliding CMS $133.

So this thing is $133 with the coupon. Anybody have one? I'm thinking about buying it just for kicks and to check out how it does. The dual bevel is really useful for crown molding. I'm guessing it's a steaming POS, but who knows? Maybe it's a diamond in the rough.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-Mike-,

This appears to be the one I bought from them on sale two years ago. Sale price now seems comparable and it looks the same (too damn cold to go out to the garage and check the model number).

I trust nothing (don't care if it's Jet, Porter Cable, Delta, etc) to be properly set up and adjusted out of the box. I unpacked this, read the instructions and proceeded to check it for accuracy. Other than adjusting the angle index pointer a smidgen, it was dead nuts on all the way around.

I've done a number of projects (trimming out some window replacements, etc) and I'm happy as a clam with the damn thing. All told, I guess I have had the motor running, for effect, close to 40 minutes cutting this that and the other thing and it runs like new, is still properly aligned.

YMMV but I'd say you can't beat it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Thanks. I figure it might be worth it to have as a beater that I don't care if it gets stolen or damaged.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You don't need dual bevel for crown.

Leon

I have had one for several years. Works well as a chop saw (the sliding ability especially) but I don't use the compound bevel simply because I would rather do it on something I can control better.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Well, I know you don't *need* it but it sure is convenient. That's a cool jig. I have a crown-cut that I use and I will also put down spring angle stop on the saw at times.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Control better?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Setting accurate bevel angles on these saws can be troublesome unless cutting at 90 or 45.

Now for the price of 10 of these you can get one that very easily and accurately cuts the in between bevels............ :-). Loving mine so far.

Reply to
Leon

Well! I figured you knew it, LOL, but this guy seems to have a few tricks up his sleeve for trimming. He has some very interesting videos in addition to this one.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that make it very NOT worth it, IMO. Seems like the perfect saw for a decking guy who can knock it around, let it get wet, not lose sleep if it walks off the site.

Are you? Does it set angle really quick and easy? I mean, I think I know the answer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'll have to check out some more of them. Working solo, I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have experience with two of them, each used for different reasons. One, my buddy that builds mostly decks has this saw and loves it. Sturdy, accur ate, and lasts well on the job. He buys the guarantee/warranty just in cas e (as it is based on the sale price, not replacement cost!) and uses two of these a lot. He also uses it for framing to cut blocking and no doubt rid ge cuts on rafters, etc.

The other is a retired contractor that wanted a sliding miter saw but could n't afford a new DeWalt, Bosch or anything along those lines. He bought it , found it to be a bit out of adjustment, and he fiddled with it and got it spot on. Then he decided to take apart the traverse carrier mechanism and see what he could do with that. A simple clean up and re-lube and it (I h ave pulled it through a cut or two) is a smooth as the premium saws.

So my take away from the two of them is that it might take a little bit of finishing touches but you will get a good saw in the end. OTOH, this saw h as come up in discussion with guys I know that tell me they have bought it and out of the box they couldn't be more pleased.

Don't see how you could lose at that price. Due to the fact that many of my tools wind up being consumables for one reason or another, I am always loo king for viable alternatives to premium priced equipment. I try to keep up with tool pricing and utility value. I have had the strongest feeling tha t over the years that many of HF's tools offerings have come up in quality while the other more premium brands have gone down.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No doubt a very useful tool for some applications.

Yes, very easily, quickly, and accurately. LARGE bevel scale, about as large as the miter scale. Puts, setting a bevel on a TS, to S h a m e...

Reply to
Leon

On 2/5/2018 8:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote: >

I've been pretty disappointed in HF power tools of late, but I recently picked up an oscillating drum sander that worked out quite well. Maybe this will be like that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You LIE !!!!!!! The Festool Kapex is $1475 list, MSRP, actual selling price because as you know, there ain't no sale price discount on Festool. So, $1475 / $133 is 1

1 times!!!!! I imagine people would be selling their wives, slitting their kid's throats, and murdering their neighbors if they could get a Kapex for a mere, measly $1330 bargain price.
Reply to
russellseaton1

u know, there ain't no sale price discount on Festool. So, $1475 / $133 is 11 times!!!!! I imagine people would be selling their wives, slitting the ir kid's throats, and murdering their neighbors if they could get a Kapex f or a mere, measly $1330 bargain price.

Leon might let you look at his for $1330. Look, but don't touch.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not a big fan of safety crap, or comments on unsafe youtube videos, but the very first cut this guy makes on his table saw is so wrong it bothered even me. He is making a cut off with the end of the board against the rip fence, and is standing directly behind the blade. (2:25 into the video) Making a cut off like this is asking for major kick back, catching the board between the blade and the fence, and if he has an over powered saw like you have, he is asking for trouble. I guess it's possible it just looks like the board is against the fence, but it sure looks like it to me. He seems to know what he's doing, so it could be not what it looks like.

Reply to
Jack