Tapping into existing plumbing

Struggling to find the keywords to guide me to buy online those plumbing gadgets which clamp on the outside of, and pierce through, existing pipework to attach a dishwasher feed or something similar.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Andy Burns

Many thanks, that's exactly the thing. Now all I need to do is find the Screwfix part number.

Hurrah!

Roland Perry

usual mixture of 5* and 1* reviews

Reply to
Andy Burns

How well do those work? Tqhey always struck me as risking a bad seal or loose bits of pipe inside the pipe.

Reply to
Adam Funk

These look a better solution if you *need* to work on live pipes

And the Alladin avoids that issue

Andy Burns

That is for wusses.

'ere:

wot has a firing pin and does steel, over 1" too if needed.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Copy/paste error?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes!

They are around 100 EUR for 3/4" and 1", 350? for 2" steel pipe cutter -- prices off amazon.

Expensive, but can save a lot of work in some circumstances, I expect.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

But it's only an isolator - it doesn't provide the 'T' connection which the OP needs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Forget it - turn the water off while you work and use a compression tee type washmac valve. Clean the pipe well before fitting.

Reply to
John J

Yes, use a proper T - I replaced the cutter type with a T compression and the flow and range from the hose pipe increased dramatically. Rather than a washing machine valve I used a full-bore ball valve and also a check valve. The ball valve has a T-handle for ease of use.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, you fit an isolator without interrupting all water, so then you can fit a proper 3/4" compression tee W/M outlet, presumably the O/P has some reason for avoiding turning off the supply?

Reply to
Andy Burns

grin, Try useless heap of shit tap system.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The only ones I've encountered on other peoples stuff tend to reduce the flow in the main pipe and if a main supply drench the fitter during the tightening up grin. Advice, do it on a warm summers day and put something waterproof over anything damageable. Of course it could have been the plumber at fault, not the tap...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

'Emergency Plumber on Christmas Day Connectors'?

That's what happened to a former colleague, the punched-out copper disc got jammed somewhere and they couldn't turn the water off. Mind you, it was probably 35 years ago and they may have improved. The fittings, not the family.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

That answers the question I had after watching the first one!

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Interesting. I guess it's worth checking the pipe size carefully? ISTR that pipe sizes in France (at least) are different from here.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Why not an end feed? Cheaper and neater. And never leak later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If you are fitting a drain valve to empty the whole system, then this should be one that allows good flow. That way there's a chance the water velocity will carry crud with it . The "pipe cutter" types will not do this for you.

Reply to
thescullster