Missing screws for (no longer available) IKEA product

Inherited an all metal clothes rail that came disassembled.

When trying to put it back together this morning I realised that 10 screws were missing (out of quite a few altogether). I managed to canibalise 4 that were holding a hook to the structure that I can live without, but am still left with 6 missing. They are short, very fine thread, large head and screw straight into the structure itself.

I checked, and it is no longer available for sale.

Before I take it with me on my next trip to the tip, does anybody know if there a way to find parts for discontinued IKEA products? It would be a shame to bin as it is well made and must have cost quite a lot when new.

Reply to
JoeJoe

A picture of one you have (next to a ruler) would help. It is unlikely to be anything exotic.

Reply to
alan_m

Here goes:

JoeJoe

M5 x 12mm countersunk, pozi, black?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I dare say you?ll find something that fits here.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You probably don't want 1,000

might find them easier if torx or allen-key heads are acceptable?

Reply to
Andy Burns

They're just ordinary countersunk machine screws, 1cm long by the look of it and, though it's a bit difficult to tell exactly the diameter, I think they're probably M4.

So you want M4, Csk, 1cm (or 10mm) machine screws. You should be able to find them even at such places as B&Q.

I'm not certain of the diameter though, they may be M3, so take one with you to match up. (Or buy a box of mixed metric CSK screws from eBay).

Reply to
Chris Green

B&Q, screwfix, toolstation don't seem to have them in black though

Measure them as per

D = diameter M5 (or M4 etc) in mm L = full length of screw in mm including head

Reply to
Andy Burns

Look like you were spot on, right?

JoeJoe

I can comfortably live with silver.

Reply to
JoeJoe

And a permanent marker pen...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd say so :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

True enough ;-)

Reply to
JoeJoe

Or dab the head with a black marker pen when installed. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Almost certainly a metric thread - just measure the diameter - M2, 2.5,

3, 3.5, 4, 5, 6 mm are standards, and look up on ebay for the thread pattern and select a suitable head style.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

M4 x 6mm, countersunk posidrive, black

and select M4 x6

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks all! I was very close to throwing in the towel.

They are indeed M5 12mm long Pozi macjhine screws as suggested here and confirmed by my calipre.

Ordered 10 silver ones on eBay for a couple of pounds - will get the Sharpie out to colour them after they are in place.

Many thanks again.

Reply to
JoeJoe

M5 yup, but length is usually just the threaded part so 10mm or so

Reply to
soup

Obviously I could be wrong but I feel the length is more likely to be

10 mm than 12mm. But if into a tube or such wouldn't think the length is critical. Good luck on the 12 fitting OK Not the first time I've been wrong though, and unfortunately not likely to be the last .
Reply to
soup

not on a countersunk screw ...

Reply to