IKEA Kitchen Cabinets

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen* anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 10/23/2010 6:19 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

Pretty good, based on personal experience.

More specifically, I'd put Ikea cabinets in the upper ranks of knock-down furniture. Not up there with custom-made real-wood cabinets, of course, but much better than the usual crap one gets at other stores. Hardware is high quality; cabinet components are well-made, close-fitting, even if they're made of covered particle board. The visible parts (doors, etc.) are real wood, nicely finished out of decent stock. And there are a zillion variations possible. (If you're interested in their stuff, it's worthwhile getting their catalog for tables of available dimensions, finishes, etc.)

I've seen several kitchens made of Ikea stuff, and they all looked good. As long as you're not counting on top-of-the-line custom cabinet quality, they should suit you pretty well.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I have had an IKEA desk and book cases for 15+ years. Also had a number of their furniture items. Can not beat them for price and quality.

Reply to
professorpaul
?

I've never bought anything IKEA. As far as I know, I've never *seen* anything IKEA in real life.

I just saw a magazine ad for an IKEA kitchen.

Anybody know where the quality of IKEA kitchen cabinets ranks?

Thanks!

-------------

Ikea uses non-standard sizes for their cabinets I do believe.

I wouldn't buy a kitchen from them but I've been told by one owner of them they are more durable than they look, and the hardware like hinges are of better quality ( I believe the hardware part).

Ikea sells a lot of knick knack and cleaver stuff for their cabinets but they don't fit standard size cabinets. I hope Ikea doesn't sell Frigidaire appliances though. They used to. Those appliances were bad.

Reply to
The Henchman

Somewhere between reasonable and firewood.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

It's all euro style, of course. No face frames.

The IKEA stuff is made well but not out of expensive ingredients. It's mostly laminate, but good quality laminate. A lot of it is very interesting with all kinds of ingenious doors. The hardware is durable, the designs are minimalist, and the construction is precise. From what it is made, it should be junk, but it's not.

I've bought a few things such as screw feet from them for my cabinets. When I was buying a forstner bit to mount them at Highland Hardware the sales clerk who was a woodworker said that he had IKEA furniture in his house. He thought that well of it.

If you have never been in an IKEA, it is an experience. So large it has a cafeteria. I've bought a bunch of stuff there. I'll probably buy some kitchen lights there in the next day or two.

I've looked at a lot of kitchen cabinets lately, to see how they were made. IKEA is different.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Non standard. Remember where their design shop is. Their desk drawers and accessories don't fit US office supplies, either.

Don't forget, in most of Europe, when people move, they take the kitchen cabinets with them, along with the light fixtures. Different customs. Knockdown cabinets make more sense over there.

Reply to
aemeijers

On 10/23/2010 9:00 PM Jeff Thies spake thus:

The Swedish meatballs they serve are really good and very cheap.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cc3b2b1$0$2444 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Ikea is almost next doors, near the intersection of Rts 17 & 4 in Bergen county, NJ. I have my own meatballs, but the gingerbread cookies are a must for me. We have a fair amount of Ikea furniture. We love the Billy bookcases, oak or beech. We put a lot of glass doors on them. Don't know whether they are still available. We also have desks and cabinets for the desks, but I think that style is not available anymore. We had a few drawer cabinets that were less than optimal, especially the one that was wide (almost 3 feet?? perhaps). Too flimsy

As David said, visiting one is an experience. Another Ikea is just about next to Newark Airport ...

Reply to
Han

The 5 closest IKEA stores to me are all between 250 and 275 miles away.

Those meatballs better be d*mn good!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:0b052e8f-7c5b-4cd3-b471- snipped-for-privacy@t13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

When we lived just east of Queens, we drove to Ikea in Elizabeth NJ a few times. Took probably almost as long as your 250 miles ... (I don't know where you live)

Reply to
Han

Absolutely guaranteed to be a Malox moment. Great price for gas.

Reply to
Colbyt

Well, don't do them all in one day!

I usually get the salmon and something lingon berry. My Sweedish friend only gets the herring and has shown some disdain towards the "Swedish" meatballs.

They are OK, breakfast is 99 cents.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Took probably almost as long as your 250 miles"

I grew up in Flushing, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

It's one of the main reasons I moved out of NYC.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Given that particle board doesn't burn well it's still about the best use for the stuff (the plastic pieces likely will, anyway).

Reply to
krw

They're fine. I'd have no qualms recommending them to someone, as long as the someone wasn't expecting custom quality. As others have said, their hardware is good. Their ledger strip hardware for hanging wall cabinets is nice and strong and makes single handed installation easy for even a noob. The drawers just snap together with no tools, which makes you wonder about other knockdown drawers.

This web site is very good:

people on their have a lot of experience with the stuff and you'll get a good idea of how their cabinets install and function.

The cafeteria food is a step up from your usual cafeteria, cheap, and there seems to be a number of people who go there solely for the food.

RicodJour

On 10/27/2010 5:04 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Yep. I can testify to this, being such a noob. I've hung two sets of Ikea cabinets using their "suspension rail". Just level and attach the rail; attaching the cabinets is then super-easy. Once in place, you just tighten two nuts inside the cabinet to secure it.

In the last installation the clients wanted me to install a couple of book cabinets using the rail, but they had managed to lose some of the hardware that was needed. We went to the local Ikea store (Emeryville), where they gave us the missing hardware--and didn't charge us for it.

By the way, if anyone's interested in their kitchen cabinets, look for the "Akurum" line in their catalog or online.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl