Why dont bottle jacks work on their side?

I'm trying to jack an I-beam sideways, jacking it from an existing I-beam. I tried 3 bottle jacks, a small 2 or 3 ton, a 10 ton, and a

30 ton. None of them work on their sides but work perfect when upright. WHY??????

What else can I use?

Reply to
jw

Did you have the handle side up? Try using the jack with the handle side down. I'm guessing that the oil isn't reaching the pump if you have the handle side up.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Perhaps a scissor jack from a car?

DerbyDad03

Wouldn't that put the handle on the floor, under the jack?

How would one operate it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: ...

They have gravity fed reservoir and aren't designed for it. Uncovers the internal port letting internal air in on side.

Automotive repair hand cylinder would be one alternative other than a screw jack.

--

Reply to
dpb

With the jack a couple inches off the floor.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Must have a pretty short handle...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It shouldn't be a big problem if the handle is parallel to the floor and a couple inches above it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Turn the work on its side.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Because they suck oil up from the bottom. On their side there is no oil on the bottom.

You need one of these, maybe rent one.

LSMFT

They normally operate properly vertical, or horizontal with the pump side down which will still allow oil to gravity flow to the pump.

Anyone doing structural jacking of I beams should:

  1. Know how to position a bottle jack for the purpose
  2. Know Enerpack intimately and use a separate pump and cylinder in situations where a bottle jack can't be used

The last time I recall reading of someone using a bottle jack on I beams, the result was a parking garage collapse with quite a few construction worker casualties.

Reply to
Pete C.

Most any hydaulic bottle jack will work horizontally provided the pump is at the bottom. In this position the handle will swing in a horizontal plane.

Reply to
Larry W

I used one of those years ago when I worked on automatic doors and store fronts. It's an invaluable tool for any construction work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:03f1d8da-f802-4fa4-9a21- snipped-for-privacy@t1g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

10 bucks at:

or the one from your car even.

Reply to
Red Green

Sideways -- handle sticking out to the side.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He didn't mean with HANDLE down. Many have the pump on the side of the jack and the handle at such an angle that if the jack is laid on its side with the PUMP (handle side) down, the handle will swing horizontally.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

That's not possible. This beam is under a floor. I cant work the handle if it's up. I did try it on the bottom and both sides. It dont work.

Reply to
jw

How?????

What is Enerpack?

Nothing is going to collapse. The building is a trailer house and has been there for years, but there are two beams the length of the trailer, and there are weak metal parts of the frame welded between them. The last owner overtightened the straps that attach to the ground and caused these pieces between the beams to warp. That caused the whole floor of the trailer to become domed in the middle. The beams are not straight up and down. I need to shove them apart about an inch so they are straight again. Then I'm placing treated 4x4's in between them to prevent this problem.

I found my solution to the problem. I bought one of those adjustable lolly columns (jack posts) made for basements. I put it sideways, cranked the beams apart, put in my tight fitting 4x4 and removed the jack post. Then I go to the next one (about 6 feet apart). I did half the trailer so far and it's working great. Once I get the 4x4s in, I can kick those flimsy metal pieces between the beam and straighten them out. I'm then bolting them to the 4x4 with lag bolts.

This trailer was built on a pretty crappy frame. Then the last owners screwed it up with overtightening the ratcheting ground anchors. But I'll fix it.

On the end I added the 4x4s it's really solid now.

Reply to
jw

Great job. We have every confidence in you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Use a screw jack. They'l work in any position, under water, on top of mount everest, or on the moon.

Reply to
clare