Bottle Jack Fluids

Hi,

I got caught short with fluid in some bottle jacks. They had sat unused for mny years wthout so when I got them out, they were so low on fluid that none of them would rise by more then an inch or so. 2 12 tons and 2 3 tons.

I used leftover brake fluid in one 12 ton and trensmission fluid in one 3 ton jack because I had lttle time left. In a third 3-ton I used thread cutting oil. They worked fine, but so would water I imagine for theshort time I needed them.

QUESTION: will those ols used hurt the jacks or seals? Or can I wait til the weekend ro get the proper oil for them? I'm away from home and won't get back til this Monday, and I forgot to remove the fluids before leaving.

TIA Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Sorry - wrong group

news:j5g395$ike$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org, Twayne typed:

Reply to
Twayne

Hydraulic jack oil, available at most auto parts houses, would have been ideal.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Not recognizing right away the term "bottle jack" I was very converned what the message might be about and thought maybe it would be best to look away but my curiosity got the best of me. Glad it turned out to be innocuous (sp?).

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You've got me wondering now what you were thinking the term might mean!

I instantly visualised a cylindrical device used for lifting things from underneath.

Reply to
Stuart

Stuart wrote the following:

A bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey?

Reply to
willshak